Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Mar 19, 2006.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well after much debate between a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub and a Fender MIA P-bass. I decided on the Fender. I wanted to save some cash so I ordered one through MF (free shipping, no tax) Now I sit here asking myself, was this a dumb move? I'm not thinking that I shouldnt have went with a fender, but with fenders bad QC rap, should I have really played a bunch before I spent the cash?

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well, what do you think of your bass, if it seems solid and plays well and sounds good, the quality is probably pretty good. most of the new fenders i've played have been great.

3. I don't think you're crazy.

I had a look at a new Lakland this morning...I could have taken a swim in the gaps in the neck pocket, and the string alignment was awful.

I was not impressed.

Enjoy your Fender.

:bassist:

4. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    You can always return it if you don't like it.

5. +1 billion

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Fender makes fine instruments, although they do have their fair share of lemons. You certainly can't be faulted for going with them.

That said, I love Laklands. I've got a Skyline Bob Glaub, and the only flaw I've ever seen in any Lakland bass (and I've seen quite a few) has been fret ends that stick out beyond the neck (most likely due to climate changes), and I hardly fault Lakland for it. Lakland would get my money, but if you prefer the sound, feel, and looks of the Fender, then you did the right thing.

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    If the Fender arrives and it speaks to you, then you're good to go. If it doesn't, then no worries-just return it to MF.

I'm starting to rethink my position on Fenders. Most of the ones I've had the opportunity to play recently have been at GC-not the best place to find your dream bass. Most of them sit there for months on end with all kinds of hacks abusing them daily.

However, all of the Laklands I've played in stores have been perfect! Lakland is a much smaller company than Fender, and I'm sure that their in-store inventory moves faster than FMIC's. And the stores that carry them more than likely wouldn't tolerate the abuse that GC does.

Just my $.02.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on!

:bassist:

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm sure you'll be fine. :) Enjoy your Fender.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I've been playing Fenders for over 30 years, and in my experience the bad QC at Fender is a myth.

10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Laklands are always nice, but I prefer my P-Basses to have the "Fender" on the headstock. The last two I played at GC were screaming for me to take them home, but alas, my money's tied up elsewhere at the moment.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I made the same decision a few months ago, except I was able to get mine locally. A good P bass is worth the money. The good thing about Musicians friend is that they will take it back if it is not what you want.

12. I don't think buying an MIA fender can be considered crazy, fender is still seen as standard equipment. If you like it that's all that matters.

13. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I think Fender gets an unjustified bad rap, play most MIA's manufactured over the last couple of years and they are good, deluxes are superb. I played a 60's re-issue MIM jazz today and it smoked, if I would'nt of got killed when I got home my credit card would have taken a beating!

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Based upon the pickups, neck profile, overall build quality, and personal experience with both brands, I would have suggested that you buy the Lakland, but fear not... MIA Fenders are good solid basses that will serve you well. Despite the naysayers, Fender doesn't usually make crap, and a MIA Precision will probably never let you down.

That said, if it doesn't speak to you when you get it, feel free to send it back to MF and give the Lakland a try. There are dealers that will provide a good return policy, and the customer service from Lakland it'self is second to none.

15. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    You did good!

16. I dunno, what color was it? Black ones play 10% faster.

17. mophead

mophead

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    I agree with the quality of the MIM 60's Jazz bass. If they put an American serial number on it, it would bring double the money. Nothing like a normal MIM bass. Smooth frets and killer neck, nice weight, good finish. Way undervalued!

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Last time I checked, Fender USA products came with a lifetime warranty. Only you know how well your bass plays and sounds. Don't believe the hype.......

19. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    first I have had a MIM Jazz bass for the last 3 years and i love it I will never sell this thing unless I am really desperate. second the 60's reissues are the shiznite, I played one and right away it felt like the smoothest thing I have ever had in my hands, better than laklands I have tried.

20. I think you're crazy to buy a Fender without having played it in person. And to choose it over the Lakland. :)