Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I cursed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajb, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Some time ago I posted a thread about a cut-out/drop volume problem I was having with my Aguilar DB 359. I have since sent the amp back to Aguilar for inspection and repair, and am eagerly awaiting its return.

In need of a combo amp, I purchased a Gallien Krueger Microbass 150 a few weeks ago. Sounded fine in the store, but when I took it home I noticed all of these strange static sounds coming from the speaker and overall it sounded horribly distorted. The speaker was even moving (unhealthily twitching is a better description) when I wasn't playing. Took it back and got my money back.

A couple of days ago I pulled the trigger on the Ampeg B100r, which I read tons of good things about on this forum. Again, sounded perfect in the store (much better and more my style than the GK). When I took it home, however, the amp (after about an hour of play) dropped noticeably in volume and started making all of these weird sputtering noises. So I'm going to take it back and exchange it for a healthy one.

What the hell is going on? Am I cursed? I thought something might be wrong with my electrical outlet at home but that's unlikely -- my stereo, which is plugged into the same outlet, works fine, and the DB359 crapped out on me out of the house at rehearsal.

Is this just bad luck or is there something going on here which would explain this?

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I think you are having a serious bad luck streak. I would be really weirded out if this was happening to me.

Good Luck,

gwx014

3. I haven't read your other thread. Have you ruled out the possibility that it is bass or cable related?

4. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Yes. I changed cables after the DB 359 crapped out on me the first time (on the recommendamtion of TB'er, I bought from bayou cables).

Also, I play two different basses, a jazz and a musicman 5. The problems with all of the amps happened with both basses.

I've been getting lucky as hell playing poker lately (and I mean lucky as hell) so maybe this is the cosmos trying to restore the balance.

5. AAAhHHH! Balance! There you go. Seems to work for me that way. :meh:

6. Maybe power related???

You're right, could just be karma tho, lol.

Good luck to you!