Am I damaging amp or speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VJP, Feb 3, 2002.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    If I run my Eden WT-500 in bridged mono ( 500 watts @ 8 ohms) into an Epifani 2x10 rated at 400 watts @ 4ohms, am I in danger of damaging either the amp or speakers?
  2. Well, I'm not a techy, and there are plenty of people round here who know a lot more than me, but I would say don't do it!

You need a minimum of 8ohms, so if you only have half the impedance you should, then I'm pretty sure you'll either overload the speaker or cause the amp to overheat as more current is drawn from it. I'm sure someone will reveal all soon....

If the impedance were greater than 8 ohms, then you wouldn't damage anything, but you wouldn't get the full power out of your amp.

I think the 400W as opposed to 500W doesn't matter too much as long as you play at low volumes, though obviously it'd be better if the figures were the other way round.
  3. Not very much risk of damage--you've got some headroom. Speakers are more likely to "blow" as a result of not enough power, rather than too much.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey funky, i think the issue here isnt the wattage, but moreso the impedance (ohms)

VJP- take youre speakers and unplug them from your amp NOW! as far as im aware, plugging a cabinet rated at 4 ohms into a head that can only go down to 8 ohms isnt much a risk for the speaker... but you will overheat and cause severe damage to your head. Im not at all sure about what kind of loads the WT800 can handle, but if it is stereo, you will want to run your cab off one side. im guessing it could handle the 4 ohm load in that situation. first of all, check your owners manual, and see in what configuration you can run a 4 ohm cab. but please, for the sake of all things low and thumpin, do not continue to run your WT800 in bridged mono into your 4 ohm cabinet. you will ruin your head for sure, and possibly your cabinet.
  5. Hey SRSiegel, yeah, I didn't read the first post carefully. Not knowing much about bridged mono mode on an Eden, I just assumed that they could handle a four ohm load. But if they can't (which is what the original post seems to be saying, and what I missed), then you are definitely correct.
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    According to the <a href="">Eden webpage</a>, the <a href="">WT-500</a> can run at 4 ohms (250 watts per side). That's telling me that it CAN run @ 4 ohms, but it appears that you must have 2 cabs to run it at 4 ohms. I've never had to deal with this before, so check with the other techies to see if it can be done, and if so how.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, YES, you are definitely going to damage your head if you continue to run it at 8 ohms into a 4 ohm load. Check with others here on the board to determine how to fix it, if possible.
  7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The WT-500,WT-600,WT-800 could only bridge at 8 ohms!:eek: If it could go 2 ohm per channel it could only bridge at 4 ohms. So if it could only go down to 4 ohm per channel it could only bridge at 8 ohms. Your setup is perfectly safe.:)
  8. My Eden WT-600 says, on the rear panel,

"Bridged output 8 ohm only"

I paid good money for my amp, I like it, and I'm not going to bridge it into 4 ohms. I'd unbridge and run one "side" (one of the two power amp sections, which are rated for 4 ohms each) for your 4 ohm cab.

;) I figure, if Eden can make an amp this good, they probably are qualified to give specific info on it's loading.
  9. Huh?? I think I know what you're getting at, but his setup is "not" safe at all. I've got the WT-500 also and a single 4 ohm cabinet, and the way I use it is by plugging it into either the left or the right side. If you bridge the 2 channels, you should NOT run a 4 ohm load on it, only a minimum of an 8 ohm load. So that means don't hook anything less (7,6,5,4,3,2,...) than an 8 ohm load into the mono/bridge section.

Technically, you can plug whatever you want into the amp, but I take no responsibility for when your expensive Eden head starts to melt on ya. ;)
  10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    4 ohm cabinet...
    500 watt head bridged at 8 ohms...

The CABINET automatically sets the head to 4 ohms. The speakers are wired so when a head is put into it, they draw a 4 ohm load. If a HEAD can only handle a 4 Ohm load, that is the only cab you can attach the head to.

The HEAD would push out 500 watts Bridged into an 8 ohm Cabinet... but this is a 4 om cabinet, so it's power is more like 750 watts.

I have heard 2 theories:
    "A head that surpasses cabinet power rating has more headroom and since the speakers only draw so many watts, that's all it gives."

"What are you crazy?!?!? An SM900 into a 2x10 cabinet!!! Are you stupid or somethin' boy?"

This is the only thing I know... Distortion blows speakers, so keep the gain down. And run that setup at lower volume to test the water. Otherwise, I hope you have a warranty.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Here's the skinny: Don't do it. You *might* be able to get away with it at some settings for a time, depending on how conservatively Eden rates their stuff, but there's a very substantial risk you won't, and is it really worth it?

The amp is rated to deliver 500 W into 8 ohms in bridged mono. This means 8 ohms is the LOWEST load it should see. You can give it 8, 12, 16--but NOT less than 8. If they thought it could reliably be bridged into 4 ohms, they would have rated it that way.

So don't do it.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but there's some misinfo here.

Speakers don't draw power. They offere varying degrees of resistance to the power an amp pushes out. The cabinet doesn't "set" the head to anything.

Both those theories are wrong, at least in their simplest forms. Because speakers don't "draw" watts, the power rating of a cab has absolutely no bearing on how much power is actually being put into it. If that were so, speakers would never blow. And yes, you can use a bigger amp than the cab is rated for, if you do it sensibly.

And finally, distortion, in and of itself, doesn't blow cabs. If that were so, there would not be a Celestion guitar speaker still functioning on earth, because just about every Marshall made is used with significant distortion. Not to mention a lot of SVTs ....
  13. Some excellent advice from Richard.

My bottom line advice would also be, don't do it. There'll be a tendancy to open the amp up that little bit more on one occasion, or something, and that'll be that...... :eek:

14. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Drop Eden an email or call. Be very specific about how you want to run your set up and they should be able to give you the definitive answer.
  15. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    guys, its not so complicated... 8 ohms is the minumum when bridged. you go below the minimum, you will blow your amp to pieces. dont use a 4 ohm cab when bridged. only use the 4 ohm cab when it is plugged into one side of the head.
  16. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Do I smell plastic Burning:confused: :eek:
  17. the wt-500 has two seperate power amps. You can only run one side with your cab and it will be safe. Or you can run it bridged and start looking for new a new amp right now.
  18. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Damn, I messed up on my advice. I thought the Epifani 2x10 only came in 8ohms. Sorry about that!