am i doing the right thing getting a carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 2, 2003.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I sent the FBB back and i am looking for a well built good sounding bass. So i went to carvin to spec out the bass

LB70 P
    Greenburst over flame maple matching headstock
    Swamp Ash
    black hardware
    Starap locks
    tung oil neck

I have heard alot of mixed reviews when it comes to their necks i need something with good string spacing jazz bass spacing or wider. So what do you guys think, thanks
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Carvin makes a great bass, I have had mine since 1994, The string spacing on the 6 string is perfect for me, however I can not speak for the LB70, I only have 2 of the LB76. Go to and go to forums, that is where all the carvin guys hang out on line and can answer all your is a pic of my
    LB76F Fretless and LB76 AAA flamed maple, saphire blue. I have alot of basses, but if I could only have 2 It would be my carvin's. I have never had
    any problems with them, and they sound great. [​IMG]
  3. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Hey bud, I just got a Carvin, in fact I posted pics less than an hour ago that sounds like what you want. Even though the bass is new, I have been going nuts with how good it looks and sounds.Its by far a much better instrument than anything around my area.

For the pics, check out this post:

BTW: I also have a Fender Jazz four string. the spacing compared to my carvin is really similar, making it a breeze to go back and forth between the two.
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

Did I miss something?
    Why are you sending the FBB back???

Peace, JP
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

what didn't you like about the FBB?

donkey wow that is some bass mine will loke very similar i was going to go 5 but i just didint like how unnatural the low b is. The fbb was having some problems the wood was expanding and i wasent able to set it up with out some costly work.
  7. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Thanks MAJOR METAL. I have already played 2 gigs with it, and I have recieved quite a few compliments on it. When the stagelights hit that quilted maple, they say it looks like a pool of green water.

Also, I decided to go with the five string because it wasnt too much more money, and we play so many songs that would sound great with a few bottomed out whole notes. I hate having to detune any guitar in the middle of a gig, and having that b lets me float a low D or Eb which seems to be the most common.

I want to send the money order soon please more feedback before i drop a grand. Thanks
  9. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I had a 6 string Carvin a couple of years ago and it was the best bass I had played at that time.
    I'm not saying that Carvin are the best basses you can get but Carvins are simply the best "custom" made instruments for the money, BP magazine can't be wrong;)
  10. I dunno, I have a friend who was endorsed by Carvin, he had a bunch of basses and amps. He only used them for practice. Never used them on gig's.
    Carvin is also a hard name to re-sell. Now thats not a consideration if you intend to keep the bass forever. But if you ever want to trade or sell.....
    As far as their electronics go, I'd avoid them. They just don't stack up to JBL, Mackie, Ampeg, Marshal et al.
    Nothing worse than walking into a gig and seeing a Carvin Board and Mains... uuugghh..
    Now Carvin Strings are a great deal. 5 string sets (nickel or steel) are only 12.99!
  11. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Now you're just a spoiled brat aren't you?;)
  12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I went to the Carvin store while I was on vacation in San Diego, I could not believe the quality, sound, look, attention to detail and price of theese instruments. I was in there for 2 hours playing all the models. Best bang for the buck, I will buy one eventually, right now I play Modulus,and Stingray basses and IMO the neck thru Carvins are right up there with them. Also, having used countless brands of bass strings the carvin brand ended up being the best ( nickel for my Music Man)IMO and cheapest anywhere, go forth and shop young man.
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have an LB75F and an LB76. I think Carvin makes excellent basses. Fit and finish are top notch, playability is great, electronics produce a wide range of sounds with no hum or hiss.
  14. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Wow, that is surprising to me. I bought a custom Carvin back in '94, it was beautiful, but sounded like crap next to my *gasp* IBANEZ!!! I sent it back. To me, Carvin's sound absolutely lifeless, unlike Stingrays and Moduli, but everyone hears things differently I guess. I recently played 6 Carvins at the store on Sunset, and not one of them sound even half as good as my ZON. They were pretty and were made well, but sounded so bland...

just my .02
  15. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    At a given price level there are only three questions:
    (1) Do I like the playability?
    (2) Do I like the tone?
    (3) Do I like the look?

If yes to all the above - buy the Carvin.If no to any one - keep looking. Notwithstanding some inferences in this thread one can't expect to get a Fodera at a Squire price.

I called carvin and added a string so it is an
    LB75P the cost is about 1149.49 please keep the feedback coming, i am taking comfort in the fact i can send it back within 10 days. The reviews are a bit mixed for my liking. A big concern to me is the neck mine will be one piece i didnt like the look of the stripes with the flame top. Since it is a 5 string i am worried about the size of the neck will it be too small ( i am 6'2 and have big hands) and will the low B floppy. Please keep up wit the feedback thanks everyone.
  17. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    There are alot of better basses you could purchase for $1149, IMO. Get a Cort Elrick JP5!! I don't think I have ever played a Carvin that was worth $800 let alone $1149. This is of course just my opinion.
  18. I had a Carvin fretless 5 and it was beautiful, but I was dead as a countertop. I traded it for my SVT. Sucker hahaha!
  19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree. I've played a few & their was something always missing. But then again, the 10 day approval period is a really nice thing. You never know, you might LOVE it.
  20. for a grand there are numerous basses you could get that are better than a carvin IMO. I agree with the comments on them being dead. They sure are pretty though.
    You can get a Roscoe or Pedulla or USA Fender Deluxe 5 strings on e-bay all for that and less. And most would re-sell alot quicker should you decide on something else down the road. If you do go Carvin look for one used and you'll save a bundle. Good Luck.