1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    firstly I'm on my phone so I apologise for spelling and grammar!

I am selling one of my basses tomorrow - and I'm scared I'm doing the wrong thing.

Out of my two basses, this one is no question the better of the two. It sounds great, sets up well and has a super stable neck.

However there are downsides - it's heavy (for me!), and makes my little finger numb on my right hand. And I really could use the cash right so thought I should let it go.

My other bass, while light and comfortable, doesn't sound quite so amazing (but it's not bad) and the neck is a little more mobile than I'd like (again not too bad).

Am I doing the right thing? I'm super anxious about it.

Any thoughts welcome.

Oh yeah, I have seen a doctor about the finger numbness, they aren't bothered. There are some huge benefits to the NHS in the UK but getting "non vital" things sorted is not one of them.

2. Hi @Evil Undead

What the chances of the bass getting lighter ? Slim I'd say.
    It getting lighter and your playing position changing so the numb pinkie stops ? Again slim.
    Both these happening and your finances improving at the same time ?

Let the bass go. Might be the better bass but if it's uncomfortable to play and you're skint ! Sell it.
    The other will stand you in good stead until finances and the NHS sort things out.

There's no shortage of better basses out there,even short scale ones :)

Happy Hogmanay

Bassdirty and RSBBass like this.
  3. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Ive had amazing basses I couldnt play.

Someday another bass will come along

reddog likes this.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    What don't you like about the sound of the lighter bass? Can a pickup replacement be an option?

RSBBass likes this.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Or strings? Or both, for that matter?

One thing for sure, I'll never hang on to a bass that doesn't feel comfortable in my hands. Within reason and certain tolerances, tone/sound can be altered fairly easily. But ergonomics? Eh…not always so easy.

Nomogram likes this.
  6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    The only thing that truly annoys me with this bass is that the E string sounds really dead within a week of putting new strings on, and the other strings still sound fairly bright. I've tried different strings but still have the same issue. And the E string also gets an irritating rattle, but I seem to be able to solve that by adjusting the break angle over the nut. I might get a string retainer installed there.

7. Malak the Mad

I'm wondering if your E-string tuner might need replacing. Could this be a good rationale to get a set of Hipshot Ultralites? (…assuming you want to shed a little headstock-weight)

8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    If I hadn't just put a brand new set of Schallers on a few months ago I'd totally agree with you on that :D

9. Malak the Mad

Huh…go fig. o_O

Okay, then I'll ask an incredibly academic, but still worthwhile, question; Is the snipped tip of your E-string planted as far down into the tuning post as possible with a fair amount of wrapping pressing it down as close to the headstock as can be? Because it almost sounds like the string is working itself loose around the post ever so slightly.

Tell you what, here's an easy way to see if the tuner is the problem…switch the E and G tuners around. If the same thing happens again, then the tuner is fine and the cause lies somewhere else.

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are you saying that the neck you had made for you is causing pain in your fretting hand?

11. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    No, where did you get that from?

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    One of the most favorite basses I ever own was this 98 MIA Jazz. Played superb, sounded even better. But it was 10 lbs and I would leave my gigs with headaches and a sore shoulder, and I still have a chronically sore left shoulder. Hated to do it, but I sold it, and I don't regret it for even a second.

14. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    There's more than one bass in the world ;)

The one in the link is the one I love the feel and playability of but not so much the sound because of the E going dead all the time