Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I dreaming, or did this bass really exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AttackDonut, Mar 8, 2005.

1. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    Eons ago (early 80s?) I was in a music store, and I could have sworn I saw a bass (fretless) with surgical tubing for strings...am I dreaming, or did such a bass really exist?

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sounds like a Guild Asbory, Was it short? All one color? I believe the strings are Silicon ( they used leftover stuff from Baywatch) They have a fairly beleivable upright sound.

3. well, i would say surgical tubing wouldn't really work that well, maybe it was some other material that looked like it?
    my best guess might be the ashbury bass, i hear those strings are pretty rubbery (i've never seen this for myself)
    i still think the tubing would be to loose to be playable, but who knows...the 80's were strange years!

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    You mean one of these beauties?
    [​IMG]

hey I have a riddle for you... what do you get if you cross a Klein/Taylor ABG with an Ashbory?

This:
    [​IMG]

5. Uh, someone with too many buttons on their Photoshop console? :D

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

he he he... nice.

no really that's an actual bass, man.

7. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought the bass had a really long neck, and was 2000$.

Someone once told me Fender experimented with such a set up, but again, 20+ years ago is a long time to remember something I only saw once.

In any case, j-raj, that funcky bass with the case looks mightly close...what is (or was) it?

8. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    of google, the ashbury bass is NOT it, far too small for the item I once saw.

But a funky and interesting bass all the same!

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

That one with the case is an Ashbory... Originally under Guild's name, later to resurface under the DeArmond name... after Fender's involvement.

They are fun to play. I actually saw a bassist play a 6'er Modulus with one of those Ashbory's hanging behind him... then for his solo he swung the Ashbory around and ripped it up, mini-me style!\
    :bassist:

10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Are you sure you didn't just see a bass with black flatwound strings on it? Sometimes those can look like rubber strings.

11. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    Given the time frame, it's certainly possible, which is why I'm asking if it was real or perhaps I was dreaming.

I know it was fretless, and tall and had really thick strings on it which I could have easily mis-taken for tubing of some kind.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, surgical tubing is exactly what is on the Ashbory. I love mine.

It sounds to me like AttackDonut saw something with black tapewound flats.

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I seem to remember something like that -- the strings looksed like surgical tubing. I'm thinking pssibly Tony Levin played one????? :confused: For some reason I thought it had more strings, or was larger.

My memory is foggy. Too many late nights with the toddler. But I have a vague recollection of a bass like that.

14. first bass i ever picked up had black rubber coating on the strings - this is about 25 years ago, way before Elixirs (and no where near as good sounding)

would they have been tapewounds? they weren't those black strings with the different coloured ribbon ends that I used to use in the 80's either.....

15. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who thinks what they saw was correct :)