Am I Dumb? Bad Luck?Mesa-Boogie Bass 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StinkyBinky, Jan 9, 2020.

1. StinkyBinky

StinkyBinky

Jan 8, 2020
    Hi there. I'm in some deep despair at the moment so I thought I'd make a post and see if this would sound familiar to anyone. Flashback a few months ago. I have some money saved up and decide adding a tube amp to my Sunn Concert Bass would be a good idea. I check my craigslist for any SVTs, all far beyond my price range. I see a Mesa Boogie 400+ for cheap and spring on it. Why not? If it's good enough to be on Undertow it's good enough for me! I buy it. Play a few shows with it everything is good!
    1. It blew a fuse after playing an entire show a few weeks after I bought it. Nothing to worry about, just a fuse blowing I guess.
    2. A few weeks later, it fries a poopy PEAVEY 2x15 and blows another fuse.
    3. And after two new fuses and one 2x15, it fries a PLUSH 2x15 and blows a fuse.
    At this point to me it's cursed and I leave it alone for a few months and continue playing my Sunn. But the Mesa tempts me, its 12 tubes calling for me to use it and destroy ears. So I think to myself, all those other cabs were poopie. A Mesa Road Ready 2x15 should handle it jus fine! Perfect.
    4. Flash forward to today! I pick up a Roadready 2x15. Although admittedly I was a bit stupid and didn't check the speakers, my friend can vouch they were both working. And I doubt this dude sold me a fraudulent cab. I bring it back to band practice and use it with the Mesa! Wow! Glorious tone. Uhhh, something is burning. I turn off the Mesa but proceed to use the 2x15 with the Sunn throughout practice. After an hour I figure why not try it again. It works! Amazing. But wait. The bottom speaker isn't moving! And it's different, Its branded with an EV while the top is an unmarked (I presume Mesa).

What is going on? Is the head shaged? I'm bringing it to my tech tmrw which I admittedly should have done when I first bought it. Is the cabinet messed up? Could a wire have gotten knocked loose while we were moving it? Maybe any of this sounds familiar to anyone here?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Three blown cabs before you take it in... o_O

mdalamond and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. StinkyBinky

StinkyBinky

Jan 8, 2020
    Now 2.5 technically. I probably foolishly assumed that the first two were poopie and thus blew because of that.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Let us know what the tech says.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    3 blown cabinets... is it possible that you have unreasonable expectations for your cabinets, or that they weren't fully functional beforehand?

This is probably a good time to consult with a QUALIFIED tech to determine what may be wrong before attempting to repair anything. I would recommend an authorized Mesa service center for your Mesa products, there's a better chance that your amp and cabinet will be correctly diagnosed by a tech experienced with the products.

imabuddha likes this.
  6. StinkyBinky

StinkyBinky

Jan 8, 2020
    The first two definitely! But yes! Money and business prevented me from taking it in, but now I see no other option

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    -Take the damn head into the tech. Fuses don't randomly blow for no reason. Multiple times
    -Read the manual even if you've read it before to make sure you're using the unit as designed.

You very well could be costing yourself more money and doing more damage every time you decide to 'try it one more time' and have another incident.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022