1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I dumb for trying this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by petrthumb, Aug 19, 2007.

1. petrthumb

petrthumb

Nov 4, 2006
    Blandon, PA
    Hey all. Right now I have a dilema. I have a Carvin R1000 head with Carvin 410 and 118. When I'm playing on stage I can't hear my rig all that well and I'm standing in front of it due to our drummer and guitarists. I can hear the low end somewhat but not the highs. I've resorted to only using the R1000 and 118 bridged so I can hear but am not happy with the overall sound. I also have a Carvin R600 head that I use to practice with. What would I need to do to A. Make my highs louder? B. Hook both amps up R1000 bridged for the lows and R600 bridged for the highs? C. Any other suggestions? I can't run both cabinets bridged off of one amp because the minimum ohm rating is 4 ohms per jack or 8 ohms total. The 118 is 4 ohms but the 410 is 8 ohms and was told by Carvin that my head would go into protect mode due to overheating. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you tried adjusting your EQ?

3. petrthumb

petrthumb

Nov 4, 2006
    Blandon, PA
    Yeah I've tried both EQ's. It has the sliders and knobs depending on which "channel" I'm using. It just seems like the amp isn't loud enough to handle both cabinets to play at the same volume as eveyone else.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Dump the 18 cab and get another 8 ohm 4x10 cab, daisy chain them together and hook up the 1000 head mono. You will have an 8x10 stack that will be loud and punchy with plenty of low end.

In the mean time have you tried your 4x10 cab bridged? I am not sure about the ratings on your cab, but I think you'll be fine pushing an eight ohm load.

I used to mono bridge my SVT 4 pro (1200 watts I think) into my 700 watts rms BXT 4x10 cab (4 oms) and I never had a problem. just don't push your cab too hard.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Not sure how they'd mesh with your personal stage style, but have you considered in-ears?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Use the R1000 for the 18, the R600 for the tens. That way you can roll off high EQ that the 18 doesn't need, roll off the low EQ that the tens don't need, and have independant control over the volume of each. If either amp has parallel inputs you can tie them together with a jumper there, otherwise a Y adaptor will fo the trick.

7. petrthumb

petrthumb

Nov 4, 2006
    Blandon, PA
    I've tried the 410 bridged but didn't get the super low thump/rumble that I like either. It just seems as though it's one way or the other with this set up. Either too much thump too much rumble. I play a Warwick Thumb 6 and need thump and rumble. I do have a set of in ears but the monitors we have can't handle the bass so I have to hook them up to just me playing. The problem with that is I can't hear everyone else then because they are very good "ear plugs" in that they don't let any other sound in.

I was thinking of just getting a preamp or a crossover and splitting the signal to each amp and work it that way.

8. petrthumb

petrthumb

Nov 4, 2006
    Blandon, PA
    Bill that was one other way I thought about doing it too with the "Y" plug. I'll have to scrounge around and see if I have one laying around here somewhere.

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I have the same rig for practicing at my lead guitarist's place. I've tried mono, bridged, bi-amped and crossover engaged, and I'm really not satisfied with it. But it's there, it's free to use, and gets the job done. But it's just not a well defined tone. Same as you described, tons of rumble, but no real definition.

All I can say is, start over. Set the amp flat, and THEN start tweaking your EQ. Twist each knob, play with the mid frequency sweeping range, and tweak each slider on the graphic EQ. After that, try going to biamped mode, with the crossover, and first adjust the volume of the 410 side with the mids and highs to get it loud and defined. THEN roll up your 18 for the lows. I've goofed with the actual crossover frequency so damned much, but it seemed best between 80Hz and 100Hz. Higher than that, it gets muddy, lower than that, you can't tell the 18 is even there.

10. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Try a Sansamp BDDI. I don't have that same amp, but my Yamaha head was either way too muddy or way too trebley, and the Sansamp ended up being just a plug n play box that made my tone awsome.

11. petrthumb

petrthumb

Nov 4, 2006
    Blandon, PA
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. If anyone else has any to add I'm still listening.

I'll have to try and start over again just to be sure I didn't over look anything. I'll also check into the Sansamp see what I can come up with.

Pete

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IME, setting the input gain on those amps is absolutely critical. Turn up the gain until it clips and then back it off slightly. Also, if you have a Series 1 or Series 2 Redline, turn the compressor all the way down. The earlier Redlines had horrible compressors that rob lots of volume. Also, with those cabs, I would run in bi-amp mode and cross over at 800 hz. Set your balance between lows and highs using the Amp 1 and Amp 2 controls, then set the Master to the appropriate level for the venue. One last thing, try taking the in-ears out and use a set of Hearos. That rig should be an ample monitor for the entire band. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A "Y" plug would work, kinda, but you'd be better off with something like this:

bigshot-aby-slice. bigshot-aby-3d-setup-1.

Or better yet, this:

switchbone-wedge. ] switchbone-3d-setup-labeled.