Am I expecting to much?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    heres the situation...i am a dog lover....and my friend's mom thinks that their dog is dangerous because it killed a unless they can find another owner she is gonna ahve it put to sleep on thursday (tomorrow),

so i asked my mom and she said no because she doesn't want the responsibility of another animal (especially a "dangerous" one)...i am extremely angry...i don't see why she can't save a dogs life, even if we can't leep the dog, we could just keep it until we find a permanent owner for it...

am i expecting to much of my mom?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That sucks dude.

My cat brings rabbits, birds, rats, alot of stuff, we do not find her to be dangerous...

My dog does the same when she gets the chance...

Ask the lady nicely not to kill it...

I'm sorry, but there seems to be nothing else you can do...
  3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im really bummed dude...

its sucha cool dog...

anyone that lives around Trenton NJ want a dog?

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That is the most idiotic reason to kill a dog that I've ever heard. I would just take the dog and bring it to a "no kill" shelter. Call the vets in your area and ask about that. Ask the woman to wait and let you find a solution for that doesn't invole needlessly killing a dog.
  5. its not asking too much of your mom to take the dog in for awhile if you take care of it, but the thing that gets me is it is DEFFINATLY not to much to ask that woman not to kill her pet because it ate a rabbit
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, that woman is crap.
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    What type of dog is it. If it's any type of terrier it's doing what it was bred to do.

The idea of putting a dog down for killing a rabbit is absurd. I agree with Blisshead, almost every state have "no kill" shelters. Maybe it can go to a home where the people understand dogs.
  8. Dogs are predators. They kill other animals, including the neighbours' little furry rabbit. That's how it is, that's how it's supposed to be told to you when you were a kid. That woman probably expects her dog to sit a be all cuddly and deny its nature.

We have a cat and a dog. The cat has brought home dead mice more than once ;) and if the dog would kill a rat or weazle or something like that, I'd applaud it. It has never done so, and probably never will (being 13 years old), but you get the point.

Try and tell that to the lady.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If you're gonna capitalize it, at least spell it right :D
  10. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    My dog once killed a neigbors cat. We didnt put it to sleep. I think, givin the chance, he would go after another cat, squirrels, rabbits, and our hamster. Its their natural thing to do.
  11. My dog kills squirrles all the time. that's nature ...That dumb @$$ lady ott to be kicked in the nuts . She should be kept from having another pet as well..well maybe she could have a pet rock. :meh: I'd take the dog if I could...
  12. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    I would just like to point out *most* women do not have nuts.
  13. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    What kind of dog is it? It sounds like a hunting dog, and just because it killed a rabit, which my dog did, doesn't mean it is mean, which my (I mean my sisters) dog is not.

Does any of this make sense?
  14. having it put to sleep costs money.

taking it to an animal shelter and putting it up for adoption doesn't. try that logic.

Trenton Bureau of Animal Control is your local SPCA. please try to convince her to take it there. they'll decide if it's a dangerous dog (hah!) and hopefully adopt it out to someone who can handle it.
  15. Yeah, probably. The other posters have weighed in on their thoughts on dog behavior, so I won't bother to repeat that. However, asking your family to keep a dog around the house and take care of it is asking a lot. Try the animal shelter or friend route.
  16. as prime said, MY dog has killed a rabbit before. what a mess when he got sick on it to, the fur. anyway, it is the way of a dog. they evolved from wild animals. helloooooooooo, it does not make them mean. geesh.
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's one of the things that we don't do around here: insult other people. Particularly one's mother. So knock it off.
  18. My dog brings in possums and birds all the time. I give her a little scratch behind the ear when she does. I get a little mad when she brings in something that turns out to be the remains of my boots. :mad:
  19. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it is part retriever and part lab, and some oher breeds...

i have to call her today to see what went on, ill post about it later...

20. I've got a Jack Russell Terrier, and he is a stone cold killer, if you're a mole, vole, chipmunk or squirrel. He is gental as can be with people. Animals, such as rabbits, trigger the hunting instinct with dogs. It's completely normal.