1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I Forever Married to My Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Jan 7, 2012.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    So my current bass is an ESP LTD F-155 DX, and I am IN LOVE with it. Not only does it play beautifully, the tone is so unique it's to die for. I love it, and in no way am I disappointed. But seeing as it's only 379$, I figured their are higher end, "better" basses. Anyways, I went to Guitar Center in Canton to get a little something with a $40 gift card, bought a Dark Side of the Moon strap, Special 20 harp tuned to G, and a picks. I had so time, so I played around with the basses there for awhile. Only, the thing is, I wasn't happy with any of them.
    It's like when you're dating someone and think very "man-like and piggish" "That's pretty cool, but what I have is MUCH better." I tried a Jazz, a Precision, and a bunch of high end Scheters, a StingRay, etc. and I just... didn't like them. I found a really cool Hollow-body Gretsch that I liked, and a really cool 130$ 4 string, I forgot the brand but it said it had active electronics.
    My point is, it wasn't as exciting. I really didn't want everything in the store like I used to... Am I cursed to be this way forever?? :0

2. MrGotBass

MrGotBass

Jul 28, 2009
    Its not a bad thing to be satisfied with the gear you have dude; I think there are a lot of members, me included who wish they could be in your "predicament" ;)

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I agree, nothing wrong with it. It would be a great GAS killer that is for sure.

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I married my peavey but I'm having an affair with my squier.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Nothing wrong with loving what you have. I've found that my preferences have changed over time.

6. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Same for me.

To the op, eventually you may not feel the same about your gear as you do now.

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    No wedding pic, no bass.

8. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Or, you could be done for life.

My tone has evolved over time (been playing for four decades now), but the funny thing is that although my amps, attack, and type/number of strings have changed over the years, the type of basses I like best have not.

The 5-string bass in my avatar has been my main squeeze for the last 16 years, and although it looks a lot different from the '64 Precision I was gigging throughout the 70's and 80's, it's set up for a pretty similar voicing.

Back then I was running a stock Fender P-bass pickup through an onboard active buffer, and now it's a pair of active EMG P5's, but the bridge pickup doesn't see much action. Neither instrument had any onboard tone controls.

Seems like I just can't get away from the sound of a P-bass with an active buffer...

9. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    My upright bass is my wife, and my two BGs (Tony Franklin fretless 4 and Joe Osborn fretted 4) are my mistresses. Sometimes they squabble with me. But I always win.