Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I getting it wrong on slap - choice of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VellaBass, Dec 29, 2004.

1. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    I have searched, but the answer wasn't there

I've mainly been a smooth jazzy blues type on my Manson fretless, happy with that, and have a G&L Tribute L2000 for more rock stuff. Now we're going more funk, and I want to slap and pop a bit - the guys in the band think I'm doing OK at this, but I feel that the G&L deep neck is slowing me down. (The fretless doesn't work at all for this)

So the question is should I look at something else - I think I'd like a slimmer faster neck - or would you say the G&L is a perfectly good funk / slap bass and I should just stick with it?

2. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I don't know about the L-2000, but my L-1500 works perfectly for slap (not that im very good at it :p ). Maybe your bass isnt set up quite right for it?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The G&L is a good slap bass but if it's not comfortable for you, you need another bass. Maybe something like a Peavey USA Millennium would be good. They have superthin necks and a great slap tone. I don't know how available they are in the UK. The Geddy Lee Fender Jazz has superthin neck with a great passive slap tone. You might to check out a SUB Sterling, they have thin necks and a great slap tone also.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 on the Geddy or Sterling. I'm sure it slaps well but if you ain't comfortable trade it in for something that will cover both your jazz and funk.

5. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Thanks Guys. I will go and try out your suggestions. Resale values on the G&L are so low that there is no point in trading it in - that would be a travesty as there is no doubt it is a very good bass. I can justify the cost of a new one if it will make a difference. Owning 3 is hardly excessive by the standards of many here :)

6. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    nice jazz bass with maple fretboard... an unmistakeable tone

7. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    +1

Jazz basses are such verastile instruments and if you maybe put in a J-retro, well youll be loving that bass in no time. :bassist:

8. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Well, I went out - just to have a look, you understand, just to educate myself. Not to actually buy a new bass. Oh no. Not to actually buy one. No great hurry, and perhaps the G&L just wasn't set up right, as was suggested, so I should check that out also. Would be stupid to rush into buying a new one.

Only, now there is a brand new MIA Jazz on the stand in my living room. As soon as I played it, resistance was futile. Tried the Japanese reissue, that was nice, then the salesman showed me the US one. I did look at a used MIA, the shop wanted £1295 for it (different shop) the new one was £800 and felt somehow tauter - don't know how to explain, just not at all sloppy, really unbelievably easy to play. This bass is so easy to play I think I could teach my mother to play it :)

Game over. It's got a rosewood fingerboard tho'; hope I didn't goof too badly on that. I didn't really give that any thought but the G&L has a maple one and I can't say that did a great deal for me.

The Jazz was the answer - thank you for pointing it out.

Racial slur deleted

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    VellaBass post edited by moderator...

10. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Whoops - hadn't realised the abbreviated form of Japanese could cause offence - none intended, many apologies. You can still call me a Brit though, if you like :rolleyes:

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No prob - it seems to not be considered a slur over on your side of the pond. We used to have a sticky about it, but it hasn't been much of a problem as of late.