Am I Getting Old???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 8, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Looks like I'm going to be playing an upcoming festival. I'll be sharing the stage with Starship (w/Mickey Thomas), Kansas, Steppenwolf, .38 Special, Marshall Tucker, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, and, ("oh, the humanity!" :D ),,,,,,,Three Dog Night.

Am I washed-up because I remember these guys on the radio when I was in high school/college and now I'm on the ticket with them?

Or am I young enough for autographs?

(Well, some nu-metal/rock will also be there, too).
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what do you mean "gettin" ? ;)
  3. rickbass

That's what I was afraid of.

At least they're older than I and we're all still doing it to death!
  4. This is when I knew I was getting old.

While doing a break at a party I was playing at, I didn't talk music. I had seen an add for this new Kenmore clothes dryer, the dryer can sense if your clothes are dry or not, i.e. if you set it for 60 minutes and the dryer can tell every thing is not dry it will keep spining and adjusting the temp until every thing is dry. Me and my freinds talked about this dryer for about 45 minutes, we talked about how cool it is. Again as I type I realize that I am getting into thinking about it so I will stop.
  5. rickbass

gruff - That is truly sad, (unless you're in the appliance business).

I'll tell you what, though - I know guys who are in their 30's and you know what some of them talk about?.......what Tiger Woods did on TV yesterday, how cool the Eddie Bauer package on their Ford Suckling Hauler Deluxe is, what a ball they're going to have at the Ricky Martin concert (if they can get a sitter; but they can't stay past 11:30pm if the concert runs late), and which cordless trimmer kicks ass. :rolleyes:

So much of what brings them "happiness" :rolleyes: in their lives revolves around what someone else made or did. They are just passive spectators.

You've got the music. You were creating something, and that's about as alive as one can get, IMO.!!!
  6. waitaminnit- you play a "rickenbacker"? didn't they stop making those like in the 60's or something? get with it, old man, buy an ibanez.
  7. rickbass

clasher - Shamefully, the Rick doesn't see much action these days. But, it is a classic, so I hold on to it.

As for Ibanez, my generation holds the same opinion about those as the last 10 years of FM radio ---- signs of the decline of civilization! ;)
  8. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    .....or are you just bragging...

(yes, I AM envious)
  9. rickbass

Slap - About what?

To me, this festival may be the equivalent of getting put out to pasture :(
    In past years, I supported names that actually had some action in the current charts or were on the verge of getting signed.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I haven't been to one of these "museum" shows. Maybe they still attract a young demographic as well as the older one.
  10. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Now I'm envious AND humbled...

As a 30 year veteran of keyboard work I could drop a few names but as a 'johnny come lately' of the bass guitar(which i dearly love) I guess I was bedazzled by your gig... Oops!
  11. rickbass

You're right. We should be grateful for any gig, no matter who you're supporting.

Sure is long way from the time with the Pistols, though.
  12. I'd play that gig in a heartbeat. Those bands made a ton of good music.

Kansas? Come on...........They flattened many a musician's arse in their time, mine included.
  13. rickbass

T Jay - Funny thing, I just got an e-mail this morning from a guitarist I used to play with and he said the very same thing, verbatim.

But he also said, "I'm sure some of those older musicians are still great....." :rolleyes:

I don't want to be disingenuous about the value of the gig, but it is weird to get to a point in your life where what you're putting out there is no longer fresh and exciting, but more like, "this stuff still works."
  14. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Tell ya what Ric, if it bothers you that much, I will take the gig for ya. I will take the pain upon myself and save you the anguish.

I am there for you my brother.

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Hey Rick, let's just all be happy that there's enough good musical taste in this world so that those bands can still draw a crowd. Surely you'd not rather play on a bill with a bunch of the current noise generators? I used to look at "reunion tours" and "nostalgia tours" askance myself, but as I get older my outlook has changed. Most of those guys evidently decided to be musicians for the lifetime, and achieved some success in their day. So what should they do as they age? Forego all the tunes and bands that "made" them, and schlep up through the club grind again? I wouldn't.

BTW, I've worked production gigs for several of the bands you mentioned. If you get a chance to talk with any of those guys, you'll probably hear some interesting stories...most of then are pretty approachable.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

GP, I've spent lots of time discussing my Maytag Neptune setup (I have the first year original model or "The Classic" as we call it in our circle;))

Don't get me started
  17. rickbass

You guys are great! This may be my "living 40, thinking 20" crisis.

Based on your experience, mchildree, I hope to see if they want to swap road stories. I guess we'll play at whichever levels they want set on the board, being the bigger dogs and all. Individual soundchecks would be nice, but I don't see it happening.
  18. Hey I went to find a new place to live, got the place but it needed a washer and dryer.
    Driving home I saw a sign for a washer and dryer on the side of the road. $275 They are both supersize so they will do big loads, sweet.
    I pick then up on July 1st the day I move in to my new pad. Even better, the washer is signed by Geddy Lee and the dryer is signed by Neil Peart.:D

Hey RB1 good luck at the festival.
  19. rickbass

Thank you, gruff. Considering the times those bands were in the charts, pot smoking may be mandatory............gate checks by security to ensure everyone admitted meets the daily minimum requirement for stoned.
  20. huskybones

Jun 13, 2001
    AZ USA
    Reading this makes me want to offer my own 2 cents worth.

About 6 months ago I was watching a "whatever happened to..." type show on VH1. It featured bands that came out of the LA metal scene circa 1985. In one of the bands was a guy I played with when we were both about 16-17. He was working in a pizza shop at the mall. Well we each went our separate ways and now he's had his 15 minutes of fame, lived high, gone through a bit of money and now works at a pizza shop again.

I'm still out here playing gigs for beer. Geez, What the hell am I still doing with this!?! "Maybe I should go back to school....". Naw, I love it too much and I guess I'm not alone.