am i getting ripped off?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    My Jazz bass is really messed up. The neck was really out of line and warped. So I bring it to to local music repair shop and they estimate 60 bucks ro repair it. I didnt mind, but my guitar player tells me its a ripoff. Any ideas?

ps - what can i do to prevent this from happening again? I figured I should stop leaving my bass in my basement. Any other suggestions?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    not bad at all for a setup....
  3. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I only pay $15 for my setups, and they are perfect.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    nah i think thats a going rate, but i can beat stingray, i get them for free. Ive bought so much stuff at a smaller store that they fix everything and setup all my stuff for free. But for your bass to be back to normal 60 isnt bad, unless u know sumone who can do it for less.
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Go to other stores and ask them how much they would charge.If theyre gonna charge less,go to the other store and tell them,theyll lower it.It's called competition.

My friend got $10 off his distortion pedal because Guitar Center was selling it less,so the other store lowered their prices.
  6. Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    I pay 60 dollars for my setups.
    It includes new strings and a complete cleaning.
    They always come back like new.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This is really a "Setup" question.

Bye bye.
  8. Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    i can get it all setup for free like my bridge neck because my dad can do it cause he knows how cause he plays guitars he also buys vintage fender amps and makes them nice again he has some nice ones he also made 3 of his own guitars they are pretty nice
  9. I get setups from a local guitar tech (freelance, although I knew him from working in a guitar store). He charges £40 (about $55-60) for a complete setup inlcuding strings or £25 ($40) if I provide the strings. They always come back immaculate and playing just how I like 'em.

Mine don't usually have too much work needing done, but I did drop off my fathers Banjo which you could have fired arrows from there was that much bow in the neck. He only charged £10 ($15) 'cos in his opinion he only adjusted the action.

I think you got a reasoable deal - but prices do seem to differ on either side of the pond!!! IF your guitarist thinks you got ripped off, ask him to suggest where to get it done in future and how much it'll cost you - you'll either save money or get to watch him back pedal hard!!!!

To prevent future distortion - hmmm?? Keep it away from extreme temperature/humidity changes - does your basement suffer from those? Do you leave it against the wall or in a stand?? You could always keep it in a hard case, or even use a String Swing - a cradle that you screw into the wall that holds the bass roughly at the nut.

That's about all I can think of right now - it's early for me!
  10. Well why not do it yourself? There's many threads on relieving the warp in the neck. If you can't find anything that is what you need or there's something you are unsure of, then ask more questions. thats what we're here for.