1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I getting ripped?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by irishryno, Apr 28, 2010.

1. irishryno

irishryno

Jan 22, 2008
    Alabama
    A guy at work asked if I wanted to buy his Peavey 15 in cabinet for $100. I told him I would. He brings it to work today, and I put it in my truck. Money has not changed hands. I get home this evening and begin really looking at it. I notice a name plate on the back of it is a Fender Sidekick 100, however, someone has removed the name plate on the front and replaced it with Peavey. I have no idea what speaker is in it without removing it from the cab. He tells me he now wants $120. I am nervous about the cabinet now as I have no idea what speaker may be in it, actual wattage, ohms, how the wiring is as it has been obviously reworked. Am I right to be nervous, I think the price hike is bogus, especially for a rehashed cabinet. Your thoughts?

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Take the cab back to work and leave it in his office/cubicle/space.

3. Sounds pretty dodgy to me man, I'd leave that one go!

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Smells a little funny even from this distance. Go with your gut on this one.

5. +1, leave it.

5sg.

6. Offer him $50 since it is not as described. Pull the speaker, check the code, call the speaker manufacturer, ask them who the speaker was made for, what the ratings are (ohms, watts), size of the voice coil, etc; call that manufacturer, ask them where they used it, then you'll know whether you have original speakers. Could be that the jack plate has been replaced. Check impedance, as I have even been known to buy a cabinet and change the rating of the cabinet. That would be a start.

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    If you're not happy with it, return it. You're not obligated to him, especially since he changed the price.

On the other hand, if you plug it in and it sounds great then make the deal. It would be nice to know what speaker is in there. The speaker should have brand and specs printed on it.

It's definitely worthwhile to verify the impedance of the cab before keeping it for regular use.

8. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

How does it sound???
    Does it meet your needs and expectations other than brand discrepancy??
    I mean its a $100 amp?:rollno:
    Forget the $20 bump though, if he doesn't like that, let him know nicely he can pick it up from your house at his convenience. :eyebrow:

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

$100.00 - $120.00 is cheap for a good sounding 15" cab ,:D
    but considering the whole label change thing , :ninja:
    i think i would take it back to him , and say after thinking about it ,
    no thanks ...:spit:

10. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Tell him what you found. Say you have to think about it. Ask if it's ok to open it up and see what it is. Then make an offer accordingly if you want it.

11. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    give it a test run. if you like it, keep it but only for the original $100 price.

no, $120 isn't bad at all for a good sounding 1x15 cab. but the original agreed-upon price was $100.

12. I don't care how good it sounds... Who raises the price after they give you a deal? Really? What is that; a teaser price?

For all you know the cab is stolen and somebody disguised it to keep others from recognizing it.

I would send it back to him and tell him that I don't do business like that.

13. My thoughts??

Your Mama didn't raise no dummy! Your instincts are spot on. Let him have it back before he milks you dry!

Paul

14. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Take it back to him, sounds like some homebrew version of a 15" cab with a peavey badge on it. The sudden price hike would discourage me a bit too. Sounds like this guy is just to wishy-washy to do business with regardless of what the cab is.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can buy a Peavey 15" cab rated 300W for around $100 with no question about its manufacture.

16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Does speaker angle upward. I have an old fender SK 100 cab. I blew up the speaker the day I got my 5 string and replaced it with a Carvin Pro audio 8ohm 15. It has been a stellar cab since. The stock speaker is stamp framed and has nothing but #s on it. I paid $135 for it 15 years ago. It is the bottom cab in this picture

th_SWR_Carvin_Fender_.

17. JoeBuffallo

JoeBuffallo

May 2, 2007
    Wappingers Falls NY
    Sales, Alto Music
    Let it go... I work with gear, and anything like that I pass on when people try to off gear to me. Give it back and respectfully decline the offer.

18. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Bumping the price up $20 after the fact is enough reason to back out of the deal regardless of the name switcharoo.

19. ....take it back

20. Why would anyone disguise a Fender as a Peavey?