1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I going to be in the right in warning people about this guy?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Further to a few threads about a producer who I'd had some huge issues with, I've now got a bit of an issue.

It's been suggested that because I lost so much time and money on this guy, and because I'm not the first this has happened to, I should warn as many people as possible as to what happened so they don't fall into the same trap.

On the plus side:

-It'd save time and money for a lot of people.
    -It'd show him that he's not some big star and that he should have treated me a little better.

On the other side-

-It may make me look jealous or arrogant.
    -It would take ages to talk to everyone who he may come into contact with.

What to do?

2. As long as you tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, I think it's good to warn others.

3. Well I can only tell them what I think.

4. You should only tell them what you witnessed and experienced, and avoid any conjecture. Opinions are fine as long as they are clearly stated as such.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1. Avoid making any other statements about why, etc. Just the facts. Let the listener decide how to proceed.

6. Like Joe Friday used to say " Just the facts ma'am".

7. Good plan.

8. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Didn't that jesus fella say "turn the other cheek."?

9. Yep. But this guy treated me like garbage for 6 months. He doesn't deserve or warrant my sympathies.

10. Go on, spill it.........

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    From what I understand, he made fun of her threads on an internet forum.

12. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Who? Jesus?

13. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

:eyebrow:

14. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Fassa, I would NOT do any proactive negative publicity or warning of others.

Let others come to you, and if they ask, then be discreet and tell them what you think to them alone without being mean-spirited.

If you kick off a public spat, you will be the one who looks bad.

15. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Tell your story here and now.

16. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Try having a producer that wasted 2 years of your life. Do I take out ads in the paper to bash him? No. But if someone asks, I certainly tell.

17. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    What do fairy tales have to do with anything? :D

Tell it like it is, I know i'd appreciate it if someone saved me from entering into a ****** deal.

18. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
  19. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    If you write disparaging remarks about this guy which can be disproven you may have a libel suit on your hands. The validity of any such suit is secondary. Cost in both time, money and your own reputation must be considered.

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    That's precisely the right approach to take. Don't go around announcing that the guy sux, but do be truthful if someone brings it up.

I'll be sure and avoid that guy...looked at your link! I've become rather picky about producers, anyway. Had my time wasted by people who said they knew their business, but didn't, and so am hyper-aware of what I like and don't like, anymore.

Cherie