Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I going to blow up my ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 12, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Okay I have a ampeg bse410hlf (i think i'm wrong on the name i don't have it in front of me) anyways, it's an 8ohm cab that's 400program, 200rms. I know that a 400+ puts out about 300 somethin continous. Could I run my 400+ through this cab safely as long as I dont' turn it up too loud? I played it today and didn't hear any clipping but I'm worried about if it will damage it or not if I play on it for a decent period of time. Thanks.

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Sure you can. It's called having "headroom". You actually want this. It'll be fine, as you said, as long as you don't run it WFO(Wide F@#*ing Open).

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Standard rule of thumb is that the amp can be twice as powerful as the cab(s) can handle.
    You're safe. Still use caution (as always).

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    you may want to double check the stats of your cab... If you do have a BSE410HLF, then I am fairly certain that cab is only a 4ohm cab.... the reason I say this is because I have two for myself! Great cabs, IMHO....

after a quick check of the ampeg site, it only states 4 ohms on the stats for that cab.... It also has different power ratings on the site...

P@

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    (baseball anouncer voice on)

......What a SAVE!!!!!!!!!!

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    it's not the hlf, i think maybe it's the hle? i know it's 8ohm 200 watt rms it's the cab without ports that guitar center doesn't carry and has to be special ordered from ampeg

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    here you go... it sounds like it is the bse410h.... is this what it looks like?

[​IMG]

P@

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    check your amp.. its probably only 400 watts at 4 ohms.. at 8 ohms its only going to be about 200 watts... if not then.. headroom like everyone says..

I am running 1,000 watts to my Ampeg BXT-410HL... I just don't push my cab.. I will at the BXT-115 soon enough.. then i'll be pushing 1,500 watts through my rig

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    wait a tic...

I thought u were running some funky lookin cab with a 15 in the center surrounded by 4x10's...

silly me...

10. The 400+ is a tube amp so it will put out the same power at different impedences. I think you can do 8,4 or 2 Ohms. You'll be fine with this setup unless you really drive the amp hard.

11. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    the "funky" cab is a mesa boogie powerhouse 1000, but yeah thats the ampeg

12. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    i c

funky was a good thing btw...