Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

am I going to fry my babies? adaptor question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Jun 9, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well, I'm not entirely certain how in hell this adapter works- but I discovered that instead of lugging around half a dozen adaptors that I can get away with using just a "daisy chain" style adapter for one of my pedal boards-

The boss adapter runs from a boss a/b ,through a Deep impact, Digitech synth wah, Tech 21, compactor & BDDI and an old boss HM2.
    Now the guy in the store assured me that this would be fine. all of the above run on 9 volts and it's a gift from heaven not to deal with so many adapters..

... But does anyone else here run one of these?
    I'm a little terrified that I'm going to end up baking the circuitry on all of these pedals if anything goes wrong.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm interested in more details of how you're chaining the pedals together. Is it a central power transformer with multiple output leads or a true daisy chain, where each pedal piggy backs off the power input to the one before it?

One of my little 9V adapters has just died so I'm looking at how to replace it (also, is there anything that can be repaired in the average adapter or is it effectively a little black box with no user serviceable parts inside)?

Wulf

3. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I *think* that the only thing that will fry a pedal is overvoltage, which you're in no danger of supplying. But don't quote me on that.

I just bought a board from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/Third-Stone-Guitars_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

and it's very impressive for only $45. It has a rail across the top that a single wall wart plugs into, with a row of jacks that each supply 9v to the pedals (effectively the same thing as what you're talking about).

Here are the questions, though: Is the polarity of the plug on pedals standardized? I think Boss pedals have the positive on the sleeve, and the negative on the tip...but some pedals just have an unmarked jack on them.

Also, one of my boxes is a Korg Pandora, This requires 4.5 volts, which is inconvenient...means an extra wall wart (which I do have). I'd much rather pull the power off of the supply rail on my board, but I know that if I just plug it in I'll cook it. Does anyone know how I'd go about wiring up a something to take 9vDC and turn it into 4.5v DC (transformer?)? I know this is really basic electronics, but I just can't remember.

Thanks...

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks guys- It's good to be reassured.
    Wulf-There's just one 9v adapter running into the boss a/b box. from the a/b box I have a boss daisy chain that runs through most of the other boxes on that pedalboard.
    I was just a little concerened about power surges- earthing power cables is still a novelty in this land.

Tom.

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Agreed.

Okay, so here's a related question. I KNOW you can fry a component by applying an overvoltage to it. But what about reverse polarity? AFAIK that won't actually damage it, will it? (Especially low voltages like 9v.)