1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I going to get in over my head on this jazz project?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Oct 13, 2006.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    My friend gave me his SX Jazz bass because the neck on it was warped (it is the vintage styled jazz that comes with pu covers).

The problem is that it was totaly disassembled and not exactly everything is there. I want to order a new neck from rondo for it but besides the cost of that Im going to need to get a bridge, foam for under the pu's, some type of sheilding, and some random screws here and there.

On top of that I don't know how to solder so I would at least have to go to a tech for that and might as well for neck instilation just to be safe.

Everything else I feel pretty comfortable taking care of but do you guys think this is going to run over the cost of what its worth?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi Jason,

Hard to say without knowing the price (or if its an option at all) on obtaining a new neck from Rondo - have you e-mailed Rondo about obtaining a new neck? Kurt at Rondo is usually pretty quick about returning e-mail inquiries. Considering all that's wrong with it at this point and even at the great prices these basses sell for, I'm leaning towards the answer being a big "yes", its probably going to be more expensive than it's worth to fix it and probably just more cost effective to purchase a new SX outright. But then, I don't know what neck price/availability is either...best of luck.

3. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Using a tech? Yes. DIY? No.
    Copper tape=$5, Foam=free, screws=$5.

Buy a new Rondo remove the neck and sell the body on ebay, you would be flush.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    how about, sell the parts, and get a new SX?

paying for a tech is quite crazy on a SX. maybe if you have a friend who is a tech.

5. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    From the website a neck is about $51 shipped. It would be ideal to go the DIY route but I don't wanna drop almost the same amount of money in it and it come out to be a turd. Im sure I have a friend who can help me w/ the things I can't do.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    SX basses are great for DIY people who like to tinker with them, but for something to invest professional services in, I wouldn't go there with an SX, just not worth it.