1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I having migraines? Or is this something else?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Here's the situation:

Sometimes when I'm laying down for a while and I get up, I experience what feels like an incredible rush to the head. It kind feels like blood rushing to your head when doing a headstand or something, but I'm standing up right and it's like 3x as strong. Immediately after, I'm stuck with an very intense pounding/throbbing at the back of my head that sticks around for a while and hurts like all get out.

This has happened in the past, but lately has been a regular occurrence even though I can't put any sort of pattern to them. I have a history of having bad headaches, but these are the worst.

In fact, my worst episode with such a headache was back in college (about 10 years ago). I was walking back to my dorm room, feeling fine... then I sneezed. As soon as I sneezed, I felt like someone had nailed me in the back of the head with a bat, and the next thing I know I'm picking myself up off the floor. I had to crawl along the walls to get back to my room, the whole time dealing with the pounding and throbbing much like what I deal with now.

Of course, I've mentioned this to various doctors, and they never seem to think much of it. But now that it's kinda starting up again (not to mention my blood pressure being moderately yet consistently high), I think I might have to force the issue and have my doc give it a closer look.

Have any of you dealt with symptoms like this?

2. You haven't been listening to Coldplay have you?? :)
    Seriously, I'd say go and see your Doc - especially if your blood pressure's been up. I'm not medical, so know nothing, but I'd get it checked.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Sounds like classic Postural Hypotension sometimes called Orthostatic Hypotension.

Long, tall people are predisposed to it. I get it a lot.

Stand up too fast and the blood supply to your brain can't keep up, starves the brain of oxygen briefly...free buzz of sorts.

Learn to not jump up out of bed. Learn to take a couple of deep breaths before you stand up. Worst case, learn to bend over quickly until it passes.

That'll be $75 please. :D

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    That sounds about right. I woudn't call it a buzz though, no buzz has ever sucked like that. Strange though... my BP is usually on the moderately high side, seems like I would be swinging from one end to the other if that was the case.

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    have you thought of trepanation? I won't even charge the 75 bucks.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yea- I need one of those like I need a hole in the head.

7. Yup, that's what I was going to say. Also, people who are growing experience that, too.

I get it occasionally, but it doesn't hurt or anything, just a little rush and throbbing in my head.