Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

am i hurting my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [SD], Nov 1, 2004.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    hi, i've got a warwick protube IV head and a 4x10 cab i'm getting 200W out of the head. I play in a rock band with quite a loud drummer and two marshall 4x12 solid state half stacks. I turn the volume on my amp like all the way to 8 to hear myself well in rehearsals. And i turn the volume of the channels up enough so it clips quite often but for just a fraction of a second when i hit really hard a really low note like D on the B string. Now i'm i hurting my amp? do i need to get another cab let's say a 1x15 to get 400w out of my amp so i can turn down the volume like to 4 and be able to turn down the volume of the channels so it virtually never clips.

I'm new to having a head/cab setup so i don't know for sure if they are design to go through that much pressure or not.

2. I don't think 200 Watts will cut it with your band. IMO you need at least an amp that provides 400 Watts.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    ^his amp does provide 400 watts, but at 4 ohms not 8. Get another 4x10 or a 1x15 :bassist:

4. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    it actually cuts pretty well, only when both guitars play low notes is when i cannot hear myself pretty well but in that situation the bass is not to be heard that much.

I just don't wanna hurt my amp by pushing it to far

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd say the guitarists are too loud if that amp won't cut it. One night I did sound for a band who's bassist's amp died, and he was using his dad's '63 Bassman (50w). It had all the power he needed to hear himself, and the PA took good care of getting him out to the crowd.