Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I imagining things? rotosound steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    ok, I put on a set of steel rotosounds on and having a hard time moving around. it's like my fingers are stuck to the strings, they are so rough and raw. does anyone else have this problem. maybe i just need to build more callus. what is a good smooth string that has balls to it?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I feel the same way about stainless steel strings. I use D'addario XL nickels, but any nickel roundwound will be smoother.

3. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    what about fender super nickelplated steels? are they smooth?

4. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Give the rotos a chance, after they get a little "broken in" most of that rough edge feel will start to go away. I've noticed this on most stainless steel strings but rotosounds seem the stickiest by far.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Just a question of what you're used to, I guess. I find Rotosounds pretty comfy to play myself, but then again I've been using them a long time and I confess to being a big fan. If you want "balls" from your strings, persevere with the Rotosounds, they are worth it.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Not all steels are like that. I found rotos to be SO raw that they hurt my already callused fingers and impeded my playing. I now use DRs exclusively. You should really look into some Hi-Beams, Fat Beam, or Lo-Riders; depending on exactly what sound you're looking for.

They're a lot easier on the fingers than Rotos, for sure.

7. I totally agree. I played nickels exclusively for years because most steels were so rough. DR's really are a nice bright string that doesn't saw your fingers off. My problem wasn't so much my skin, I just felt like I stuck to them too much.

Very happy with DR's. Wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for this board!

8. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Rotos are the roughest string I've ever felt, for sure. But they really sound great. Too bad I can't go hang with the feel.

9. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I tried Roto steels a while back...REALLY rough on the fingers for sure. Not quite as bad once they're broken in, but I much prefer their nickelwound version. Easier on the fingers/frets and just slightly less bright which is the sound I like. Harder to find though, I usually have to order them online.

10. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    Besides my fingers sticking to them like flypaper, the stiffness of the steels bothers me. I like a flexible string, something that gives and feels fluid when I play. Anyone know a good flexible string that has bottom end and brightness? I ordered some Fender super 8250's so I can string thru body, but not sure if they will be flexible enuff for me. The more you play, do strings get more flexible? I took those rotosteels off and put some old strings on and it was like butter. Also raised the action a bit because of some flat notes I was getting. This is a new guitar and still trying to get it right.

11. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    I'm going through the same thing, but from a different perspective. After years of trying coated (Elixers) and nickle (Thomastik, etc) strings, I've returned to my first love - Rotosound steel. My last set was the Thomastik jazz round - round core, flexable, easy on the fingers, very smooth. Excellent strings. But I was in a music store yesterday and thought "What if..."

Now I'm so thrilled with with the sound of Rotos, I'm willing to deal with the chewed-up fingers (And yes, they hurt like a %&#% for the first half hour)! You forget how bright they really are after using something else for a while. I play a Moses-necked fretless, btw, so I don't worry so much about wear and tear on the bass itself.