1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I in danger of blowing this cab at all??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have a GK 410 neo and I'm pushing with a GK 1001 RB II head. I usually play pretty loud and I don't want to have to worry about blowing this cab out so, if I'm on average running the woofer volume between noon and max and the gain at maybe 9 or a little higher with the eq about flatted at noon, am I in danger at all?

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Depends on how you have the EQ set on your bass as well. It's not just the wattage, but the TONE you push as well. Pushing a ton of bass/and or effects will make a huge difference. JMHO

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I tried a thread search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. So if this is an FAQ I apologize. Also, I'm running a sans amp BDDI in a chain of about 7 other pedals if that makes a difference. I may be being paranoid but I want to make sure I'm not being a jack ass by not heeding guys' warnings that have more exp in this realm. I'm still trying to find a sweet spot in the gain/woofer level combination so they vary quite a bit lately.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I usually have my ATK 300 knobs maxed. Lately I've been laying back on the mid and treble knobs though. Just a little.

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    BDDI level usually around noon and drive around 9 too.

6. "Sounds" like a pretty safe level for the cab. Are you using the "Boost" at all? A lot of flavor can be added from the boost control.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh yeah, sorry I forgot how much that makes a difference, I set that at noon all day.

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Man she gets loud!! Makes my hair vibrate :) :) haha

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Is the cab farting out, or sounding fine? If it is farting out, yes you are in danger, if it is sounding fine, then no you aren't. This is the only rule.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It sounds great. No farting or buzzing, nothing like that. I just wanted know if any if you think, from the levels I've described, if I'm in danger of pushin er too hard.

11. All the extra "stuff" in the signal chain is the unknown as well as how must bass boost the Bass is putting out, muddies giving an educated guess. If you have any distortion effects in the signal chain that can cover speaker distress. Off the cuff it looks okay.

12. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    There is one other factor- HOW hard do you play? How hard you hit your strings, and if you slap it can send huge spikes that will easily fry that cab...

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I barely slap ever. Although, I am an aggressive player at times. Years back when I first started playing in a band I had a little practice amp while everyone else had stacks n such so my playing was hard and cranked just to be heard. I seemed to have carried that a long way with me. But, since I've picked up the GK 1001 I've noticed I've calmed down a little and my style is crazy attack mode. Well maybe sometimes :) as far as dist goes, I've been trying to be careful about my volume and gain levels of my pedal. I just picked up the OCD by fulltone, awesome pedal even for my bass, and it seems to do quite well at cutting through. And I don't even need to crank the volume and gain on it which is a huge plus.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Isn't crazy attack

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The truth is, ANY amp is capable of blowing ANY cab. It's important to know the limits of your gear, and up to you to not go past those limits.

16. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Unless the output of the amplifier is measured and the real limits of the cabinet is known there is no way to answer your question with 100% confidence.

As good as it gets without measurements is to use your own ears. The sounds of speakers in distress is a warning sign to take heed of. Know it and fear it, for failure to pay attention gets expensive.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I understand what you guys are saying. I just want to make sure that just becasue I'm playing loud that I'mnot gonna blow the cab out. My cab usually sounds great, no distortion, farting or anything like that. It's just straight loud. In a goodd way though. not largely blowing out the other bandmates. Were all pretty balanced, just loud ya know. The cab is "power rated" at 800 watts and is an 8 ohm cab. So I figure I can get pretty hefty with the volume of it, just not maxed on all the gain, woofer and boost obviosly. I know that there are a lot of factors involved especially when I add my pedal board and such. I suppose I wanted to hear some bad/good experiences with this particualr cab and amp combination from other people. I shoul've worded the heading differently huh??

18. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Whoa! We're getting into the realms of fantasy now.

19. I broke down and actually looked up your gear for you. Assuming you listed the right names, you are golden. The GK 1001 RB II puts out 460 W into 8 Ohms, and the GK 410 Neo only seems to come in an 8 ohm option. Even if yours is 4 ohms should still be ok b/c it's an 800 W cabinet and your amp puts 700 W into 4 ohms.

20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That's exactly the way I figured it too Holme. It is in fact an 8 ohm'er. They do come in 4 ohms as well, you just have to special order it. I like to hear people with more exp than I with this type if equip to simply tell me I'll be alright. Its comforting haha I am still going to watch my levels regardless. On pedals and all. I was pushing a fender bassman 410 with a yorkie 400 bassmaster before this and I, in my opinion, blew the horn on it probably before its time due the volume I was pumping through. On the other hand, I bought the fender used, it was pretty beat up by then, and I got about 4 years of heavy bumpin use out if it. After all, the woofers stayed in tact, it was the horn that went. Thanks for diggin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.