Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AM I INSANE? PLEASE GIVE THIS A LISTEN.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey all, I got a very rude email from someone saying the bass was inaudible and how lame I am for hiding the bass etc. I was hoping you guys could listen to the track "Kerosene" on my bands mp3 site and let me know if you can hear it well enough. I know it sounds odd because of the Bassballs effect, but I thought it was fairly prominent! Any feedback welcome and appreciated. Thanks, Blisshead/Josh

edit: Click Mud Prophets in my sig to get to the site.

2. Well, I know I have that problem with my home-recordings, but your tune sounded fine to me.

(Edited a little later: )

Oops, I take that back. I had my woofers turned up the first time I tried. When I turn them down and use my regular PC speakers (which are fairly good) the bass becomes difficult to hear. Well, actually, I can hear it, but the song seems to lack some punch (tone-wise). Could be my soundsystem.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think whomever sent that email to you either;

a) doesn't know what a bass sounds like in the mix
    b) can only hear frequencies measured in kHz's
    c) is a very jealous bassist

Sheesh, Josh, you're right out front with a bitchin sound! All meaty and crunchy.

The guitarist is the one who needs a kick in the ass.

4. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Nope, I can hear it. Now maybe if someone isn't familiar with bass-balls or envelope filters MAY be able to say that (out of ignorance:p ).
    But I could tell, and not a bad song if I may add,
    and if I could hear the bass on my crappy computer speakers then you got no problem. Rock on!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can hear the bass just fine. That guy has been smoking crack.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks very much for listening, I was getting kind of worried there for a minute!! Maybe the bassballs had them fooled?:D Oh well, I shouldn't let stuff like that get to me, but damn, this guy was harsh! Screw him then! Thanks again everybody.

7. even worse..

d) a guitarist..

:D

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I should have mentioned this, in his email he said, "I am a bassist, so I always listen for the bass first." Oh well.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe he's J-Lo's "bassist"

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The bass is perhaps a little weak in the intro. You could give the lows a boost during the rest of the song too. It's not inaudible, but it's a little too "shy". IMO. It needs to fill out the soundscape a little more, especially considering the sparse arrangement. IMO, again. ;)

Is it something funny with my system or do I hear digital distortion on the vocoded vocals?

FYI: I listened to it through a pair of Soundcraft Spirit Absolute 2 reference monitors, with a Samson Servo 150 power amp, flat EQ.

EDIT: Cool song! Kick-ass drummer!

EDIT #2: Yep, there's some clipping going on in the vocoded part near the end. Boo, hiss, etc. ;)

11. i gave it a listen, sounds GREAT! but i could hear the bass even through this teeny weeny speakers

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It is hard to get a lot of lows through the bass balls, but I see your point. I didn't hear or see (meters) any digital dist. on the vocals, but the background vox are through an old Elgin mic. that the singer found at a garage sale. -Is that the part you mean? We are hoping to get that part to sound like an old radio, and still have it blend well with the rest of the song, but are having a bit of trouble making it sound right. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My edit came too late, eh? :(

I mean the "this is the way that the world is" part at the end, I can hear occasional distortion there.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's the Elgin too, I think we need to keep experimenting with the EQ on that mic, I see what you mean. I think it sounds OK to me because I know what I was going for when we recorded him singing it, but I can see how you could think it's distorted by accident. Thanks, that's the kind of valuable info I need. I'll check it in wave lab to make sure it's not clipping as well.

edit: I'll pass the compliment on to the drummer, Mike "Iron Lung" Palica.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you had recorded it dry, you could have split it at a certain frequency, say 300 Hz or whatever, and just run the higher frequencies through the BassBalls. This would hopefully have given more rumble to your tone.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I honestly never thought of that, I'll try it. We keep doing this over and over, changing the song listings as we write new material, but Kerosene will still be there for the next round. Thanks, that a good idea!

edit: you definitely hear a clearer version than me, we use flat AKG headphones through a Mackie 16vlz and old Yamaha reference speakers.