Am I Insane?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Apr 7, 2003.

1. In 3 weeks I'm flying from Toronto to the Cayman Islands where I will most likely live out the rest of my I have a problem...I've read the numerous posts about people taking their basses as carry-on or checking them with the "general population" of luggage and I thought of another idea. My problem is that I have a stop-over in Charlotte, NC, and even if they let me on the first flight, I may get problems prior to getting on the second flight. I was thinking of actually separating the neck and body and putting the two pieces in my main bag, insulated by layers and layers of clothing. The bass would be in this state for no longer than 6 hours and I'd re-attach the neck as soon as I get to my hotel. It's a MIA Fender J. Am I insane or would this work?
  2. given your sign-on name, I'd say're insane! :D
  3. Oh, and I called USAir and they said that all musical instruments, including guitars, must be 24 inches or less.........yeah..all those 24" basses.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Taking off the neck should be no problem. The only thing I'd stipulate is that you should make sure to pack it so it's well padded.

Otherwise, you could always buy a custom Anvil case...;)
  5. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    done it many times to the UK from Miami and no harm done!
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd take the tension off the trussrod, too.
  7. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    If you do take the neck off you have the rest of your life to get it back on;)
  8. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I say its worth a try, the only thing to lose is what sanity you have left! *crazy maniacal laughter*
  9. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    watch out for the fast food prices down there!!!! for a whopper combo i spent like 10 bucks canadian!!!!
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Livivng out the rest of your life in the Cayman Islands sounds like a dream!! Stingray City was one of the most unquine experiences Ive ever had-
    thats where thousands of tame Stingrays ( the animal, not the bass) gather and you can swim with them and feed them, cool!! then there's rum cake... hmm..
    anyways, i spent many years on the orad and always put my gig bag in the overhead- but last week , when i traveled for the first time in 2 years, i got a hassle-
    i had to gate check the gig bag, which meant they take it the the entrance of the plane and hand it back to you when you exit the plane- i was lucky- you can try this, or take the neck off- at any rate, Im jealous! i miss the Caribbean badly sometimes...
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Given that you are only making this flight once, why don't you invest in an ATA case and be sure that your bass makes it in one piece.

Sure you can seperate it, but have you ever seen how bags are handled?

Best of luck.
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Duct tape it to you're body. If someone asks "Sir, place remove that thing from you're body" , look at them like they are insane, and say "What thing?" then walk on plane.
  13. I've carried on my basses in a gig bag PLENTY of times. Even a double-gig bag from the US to Korea....

It WILL fit in the overhead...
  14. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    HAHA! great Idea! :rolleyes: :p ;)
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's like US$3.00, right?
  16. Yes, the prices are high there. That's why I'm bringing a box of Mr. Noodles with me!
  17. The way you word this it sounds as though you're running away from something. :confused:

Did you kill someone in Toronto? Maybe Ottawa?
    Was it over a woman? You can tell us, we're your family. :D

Just kidding. I am so jealous. Best of luck there.

Mike :)