Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I just a lazy slob?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've had my bass for almost two years and I've never really cleaned any part of it. Is any type of cleaning really necessary? I have a rosewood fret board and I have noticed it looks a little dry. (more than it used to) - is that a bad thing? The little bit of crud around the frets doesn't bother me much, I don't think that affects things much. I read that over oiling will make the frets lift - so what's the harm in being dry? The thing that really got me thinking was the other day I got into the electronics cavity for the first time in a long time it seemed to have quite a lot of what looked like dust in there. That dust very well could have been cigarette ashes if its possible that my ashes could fall down next to the pickup and make their way to where I found them, that's probably what it was - is that bad? I do have a lot of dust & ash all around in the gaps where the soap bar pick ups come through the body. - would that have any effect on the function of anything? I've also given up on changing strings as I feel that I can get away with setting my action much lower with the old strings and I actually prefer the sound I get to new strings. (okay and because I'm cheap/poor) Any reason I should be cleaning and polishing and spiffing stuff up? Are the ashes going to cause trouble with the electronics? Am I just a huge slob or are my lazy ways okay?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think you're just a huge slob AND that your lazy ways are okay as long as you don't mind being a huge slob.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you are like that dirty kid on "Peanuts"

4. PigPen is the kid from "Peanuts"

and, Yes, you are a slob.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Dust and ash is the bane of all electronics.

Get some canned air and blow it out before some metallic flakes in the dust / ash short out something important.

6. Take your bass outside, lean it up against the wall and take your water hose and spray it off. Don't bother to dry it off either. Just set it out in the sun for a few hours. That should give it enough time to dry and tighten up all the loose parts. Should be as good as new. Pressure washer works better, but why spend all that much time and energy getting the machine out, gas, hose, wand and then putting it up (or not). Just a thought. Oh by the way to answer your question, I'll have to agree with the other guys and guyettes you sound like a bass slob to me.:D :D

7. Careful with the canned air, though. I've heard you can damage the finish if the freon (or whatever chemical is in the can that makes it cold) spills on to your bass. Keep the can upright while spraying.