am i just being impulsive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Mar 25, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have an mia jazz(eventually putting dimarzio ultra jazz pickups in), qsc rmx 850, ampeg svp pro, and a peavey 810tvx. i was thinking about selling my peavey for an ampeg svt 810e (which i can afford to do), and then selling my rmx 850, for an rmx 1450. i was thinking that in doing all this i would have more headroom, and be able to get alittle cleaner sound at high volumes. in most venues my bands play at, the only pa is for vocals, so i need to be able to compete with 2 loud marshalls, and a really loud drummer. am i being impulsive, or am i on the right track?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    look at my profile to see how similar my rig is to yours.

i have my amp bridged (900watts) into my 410. this works very well for me and yes, tons of headroom.

i think you are on the right track.

are you running bridged mono right now? what is the peavey rated at? what is the ampeg 810 rated at?

3. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yes...i'm running the amp bridged mono into 4 ohms. that means 830 watts with the rmx 850, as opposed to 1400 watts with the rmx 1450. i plan to keep running at 4 ohms bridged mono also.

the peavey is rated at 400 watts, while the ampeg is rated at 800 watts.
  4. The easiest, smartest, and cheapest thing to do is fire one gu*ta*is*.

If that's not permissible I'd attempt relaying to the band that since there is so many of you with so much power that less volume is required from each of you to produce an adequate "total" volume. Use the old orchestra analogy if you have to. Whatever you do, do not tell them that the band will actually sound better as a result. That of course will "confuse" them and cause them to forever distrust you.

After they finsh laughing at you (behind your back) and the murmurings of your possible replacement begin, get the Ampeg 810 and an SVT (on principle if for no other reason).

Good Luck!

5. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Last time I bought new gear (in exchange for gear I already had that already sounded good) all my new gear broke down in a matter of months.

I've learned that "if its not broke, don't fix it" applies to starving musicians as well.

But as an owner of a SVT810 i'll say "GO FOR IT!"
  6. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    right on...i guess i'm just looking for some reinforcement on buying the ampeg. i think that's what i want to do. firing a guitarist, or having everyone turn down isn't so much an option. especially with vegas standard. we're F'N LOUD, and it's on purpose. anyway...thanks guys...i think eventually i'd want an svt head, or a mesa 400+, so i think getting the svt 810e now would be something i should do.
  7. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    oh...and i forgot to mention that i can get a killer deal on the ampeg, so money isn't so much of an issue when it comes the cab.