1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I Just Stupid?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gotbass1228, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hey. I feel really dumb right now, but my guitar player made a comment on the way that I was conecting the back of my rig to my amp and preamp. Im Running the LH1000 to an Ampeg 8x10... Will Somebody please!! take a picture of the back of their rig so that I could see If im connecting everyting right? I have 4 speaker outputs on my amp, and 3 inputs on the back of my 90's model 8x10. One is black and the other two are side by side. Is one for just the top speakers and one for just the bottom speakers?:rollno:Im Hopeless:rollno: Maybe thats why my setup doesnt sounds 100% amazing.

2. player 7

player 7

Oct 15, 2008
    a safe bet would be to never listen to a guitarist.

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    /agree
    how about you show us pictures and we'll tell you if you're doing something wrong.

4. The best way to do it would be to use a speakon to jack cable (or better yet, get a speakon socket put on your ampeg 810) and run the amp in bridged mode. To the input on the 810 that uses both the top and bottom set of speakers.

Or, run one speaker cable from output (either on A or B) to the input on the 810 for both the top and bottom sets of speakers. (Don't know if it makes a difference but also pan the Balance dial on the front all the way to either A or B (which ever one you are plugged into).

But bridging does seem to be the best way to do things in this case. Bridging would give you 1100 watts max at 4ohms, if you are using only one side of the amplifier (A or B) then you are only going to get up to 320 watts output (4 ohms).

5. Well, you shouldn't be running from your preamp out into your cab, not even sure if you would get any sound that way anyway so you probably aren't.....are you running a separate preamp and amplifier or is the LH1000 a full amp setup? Should be pretty easy either way..

Also, with the newer Ampeg SVT810s...the top 1/4" input is to isolate the top 4 speakers in the cabinet...if you want to use all 8 speakers, use one of the bottom 1/4" jacks. It will make a WORLD of difference. If you don't think it sounds good, it is probably b/c you are only using the top 4 speakers.

6. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Why don't YOU take a picture of the back of YOUR rig so that we can see if you're doing it right.

No offense man, but if you want help, you gotta do the leg work and then folks here will be happy to look at your pictures and help out - but you gotta help us to help you.

ALSO - I'd highly recomend that you try googling for PDF files of the owners manuals for the amps and cab that you use if you don't have the manuals already (I'm assuming you don't) - That will answer all of your questions and more.

Good luck!

7. Hartke have the manual on the website (where I got the info from).

8. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    So does Ampeg - I just looked. You go to "products" and navigate to the product you want and one of the options, under the description, is download owners manual in PDF.

OP - You can get maunals for both your head and your cab online - that should answer all of your questions and even explain how to do this either bridged, or not bridged.

Post pics if you still have questions.

Good luck!

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1. Since there are probably very few people with that EXACT rig, you're going to be way better off showing us your pics. Better yet, RTFM and educate yourself! :)

Never trust gui****ed advice about bass gear, but it will help your cause if you actually know something about your own gear. ;)

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi gotbass1228.

It's a good idea to study product manuals to get the most out of - and avoid damaging - one's rig.

LH1000 Bass Amplifier downloadable manual.

Ampeg SVT-810E Bass Enclosure downloadable manual.

11. thanks. i recon i didnt mean to offend anybody... maybe ill just take a picture of my rig?

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Pretty easy looking at the diagrams. Your amp as a bridged mono switch and a Speakon out. Switch to bridged mono and use a speakon speaker cable.
    Your speaker cabint will only be dual 4x10 when you use the very top 1/4" connector otherwise it is a full 8x10 cab. So, take your speakon cable from the mono out of your amp and put it into the speakon connector of your speaker cabinet. Either one, won't matter.
    Bob's your uncle, there you go!

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi gotbass1228.

The 810E manual includes straight-forward diagrams showing how to wire different amps to it's jacks in various ways.

--------

Nearly every day someone will start a thread on TalkBass in which they'll ask questions they could answer for themselves if they'd download and study the owner's manuals for their equipment. This is why a few folks here scolded you.

On the other hand, some people are technophobic and feel more at ease with seeking assistance when dealing with technology. You may be such a person. I don't know.

However I do know that reading the owner's manual is the first I do, BEFORE plugging in a piece of new gear to ensure that I don't damage it, as well as to ensure that it delivers the functions I bought it for.

So by all means post pictures of how you've got your rig wired, but please meet the rest of us half way by reading those owner's manuals.

Just as the Lord deigns to help mere mortals who help themselves, the same goes, it seems, for the deities of TalkBass. :D

14. i was a guitar player now playing bass and i dont even listen to myself, thats why i join this bunch is to learn.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It's an odd feeling, isn't it? I had no idea what an idiot I was until I became a bass player. ;)

16. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Nobody knows what an idiot they are until they come here to TB. Or is that, nobody knows what a bunch of idiots sounds like until they come here? ;)

:bag:

:D

Cheers,
    Liam

17. chefjoe

chefjoe

Jan 3, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Dumb question.... would it damage the cab to plug the same amp output into both the bottom inputs of the cab? I know "someone" that did that last night out of ignorance. "His" amp when into protect mode but then everything was fine after correcting the issue and resetting the amp.

18. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    It went into protect mode for a reason. Keep that in mind next time you plug everything up. ;)

19. chefjoe

chefjoe

Jan 3, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Me.....? J/K;)
    A guitar player was helping me figure out which input to use. Do it would damage my amp and not the cab? I know now what to do but I'm afraid of damaging the cab. I just traded one of my Acmes for it and would hate to have ruined it the first time I used it.