1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I justified?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 311fan, May 1, 2006.

1. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Ok, so I have been in this reggae band for about 3 years. At first it was just me and the drummer but we convinced his brother to play guitar after his band broke up. I have become good friends with the guitarist and we play really well together.

The problem is the drummer. When ever we want to jam he says he has plans already. Half the time its so he can go smoke a few bowls with his buddy's. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him being high once in a while but he is high everyday, no lie. And when we do jam he is usually high or burnt out and has no energy.

Also, he can never remember what he is supposed to play even if we tell him what to do right before we start. He has a big problem remembering stuff. Like the other day, we were going over a song and decided to add a little breakdown that involved him to do a little solo type fill. He kept forgetting what the fill was and when he finally did do it, he didn't come in after it when he was supposed to. I feel like we have to dumb down all of our songs so he can keep up.

Today I told the guitarist I wanted to get a new drummer after our show next week and he didn't say anything back. Remeber they are brothers and I haven't really talked to the guitarist about how he feels. Am I justified in wanting to get a new drummer or am I just to picky? This is my only band and I don't want it to end.

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    is it just me or am i on of the only people on most forums in a band that doesn't have any pot head friends? seriously, i think if everyone with a pot head in a band either fire that peron or get that person to quit, there'd be less people posting on the forums asking for help in situations like this.:scowl:
    /rant

anywho, i suggest at least telling the drummer he's out if he blows off any more practices. maybe see if it's his pot smoking that makes him forget everything. i mean what good is a drummer if he skips every practice?

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd want to kick the stoner out, too. That being said, if you are able to turn brother against brother then you should go into politics.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    no kidding.

5. That might be a tough one, It is his brother after all. Maybe talking with the guitarist about his brothers habits may have been better a approach. Getting him to lay off the weed would be better for everyone. If it doesn't work out than the guitarist will not have much to disagree with.

Oh yeah, if it doesn't work out, Good luck trying to find a Reggae drummer that doesn't smoke pot. :D

6. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX

haha.

7. the ONLY reason pot heads would EVER quit smoking weed (atleast the high school ones) is cause of UA's or rehab, they dont do it by choice. there are a few exceptions to that though, but i havnt met anybody besides me who quit on their own will

if anything, try and get him to keep plans and level down to smoke every other weekend (or every weekend). give him a few weeks for his mind to clear up and see how it goes

8. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Just tell him to stop coming to rehersal stoned, you and your guitarist can probably agree on that, brother or no brother. Tell him he's not a bad drummer but it's really affecting his ability to play, if he just stops smoking before rehersal you'll see a marked improvement, maybe.

9. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Pot is possible the worst drug a drummer can use. It tottally messes with your sense of time. I've had quite a few drummers. Pot heads, drunks, you name it.

the worst of the lot was pot heads, drunks can at least keep time, but you have to hope they are happy drunks and not beligerant drunks.

10. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Its not the pot that makes me mad though. I mean sometimes we will all smoke before we jam, but i do see it affecting his timing. I talked to the guitarist tonight and we decided to talk to him about our concerns and see what happens. One of the guitarists friends who is an amazing drummer is moving down here so we are thinking of putting him on drums and making our current drummer lead singer. Wish me luck it works out. Thanks for all of your reply's.

11. It's not really the dope that is the problem. The problem is that the drummer isn't doing the job. If you harp on the drug use, it gets personal and the brothers are likely to band together. If you focus on the performance, it is professional and you are more likely to get results.

I'd get the guys together and just lay it out - the drummer isn't doing the work right and you have to fix that.

I suggest not to even try to kick the drummer out of the band - think of them as a matched set - you can't make one brother turn against the other.

12. This thread confuses me :confused: I know a local Grindcore band that pretty much ONLY play or practise stoned, maybe its just because for them stoned is normal and straight is their equivalent of high?

Anyway, my opinion is don't ditch anyone because of their habit, only ditch them if they can't do the job.

13. My peice of advice: Never mix band and family if it can be avoided. We had our guitarists cousin in our band for a while, he was REALLY bad, but when it came to giving him the axe it was 10 times as hard cause of family relations. Not pretty.

14. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    dig.

15. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    it's all about the task at hand. if the band ain't happening... join/get a new band. there's plenty in the world, especially if you're a bassist.
    also... ask the drummer. maybe he's not into it anymore. pot isn't the reason. you can do alot high, and do it all well... provided you're into it.

also, platypus_of_420.... i've quit willingly, too.
    and i've met many people who have. it's really not that hard. pot's easy: you just stop. after a few days, you don't even care.

16. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    for 311fan:
    i think you're justified in bringing the whole thing up. whatever the outcome.

17. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Heck with the drums but the time he wakes up and gets off the weed he will see he pretty much has forgotten half of his life:rollno:

18. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    This can only end badly.

I think you are justified from a proffesional point of view as you are trying to run a band and he (the drummer) is not pulling his weight.

But

The fact that they are brothers is without a doubt going to be a big issue.

Crap situation to be in, basically tell the drummer as a united front with the guitarist that he is on a probation period and if he does not shape up you are going to find a new drummer.

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    If he's blowing off playing in order to smoke, and with his memory problems...he must be smoking a LOT of weed. I espouse the "all things in moderation" idea. If he can't do that in moderation, if it is taking up his whole life, he's not going to get any better. He may not be practicing adequately, either. Stopping for too many toke breaks.

Don't know what you want to do...them being bros, well, blood is thicker than water, and things might not work out like you'd think. *He* may end up being the one they keep.

Maybe bring him a notebook and a pen, and suggest that he take notes, so he won't forget what he's supposed to do?

Are the other band members bothered by his lack of memory/bad playing? If so...say something.

Cherie