1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I justified?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, May 6, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, here's the situation. I had what I consider to be a bad experience with the staff at my gym. I'm considering registering a complaint with the management. Now, I never do anything like this. But the whole deal had me feeling angry, enough so that I think they should know about it. But, I want to know if I'm justified in feeling angry. Anyways, just so that no one tells me that there is a side to every story, I've put the factual information in black and my opinions and thoughts at the time in red. I'm trying to be as objective as possible.

So, after a long day at work, I arrive at the gym at around 6:30. They close at 7 on weekends. Now, I've done this before, leaving at around 7:15, with no issues from anyone who works there. But this girl was new, I think. Now then, I go in, get changed, come out, and get on the elliptical. After about 10 minutes I get off the elliptical and go for a run. After about 15 minutes it was 7:00. She comes over and tells me (and a few other people) that they are now closed, so we have to go.

Ok, I'm thinking that this lady is not exactly being the most professional right now. I'm thinking it's a little rude to kick me out. But I work at a store that caters to the customer, so I brush it off as me overreacting. Besides, I was almost finished my run anyways.

So, I get off the machine, go over to the desk, and ask for a shower towel. She says to me, verbatim "Well, if you want to take a shower, you should take it at 6:45, since I only get paid until 7. I'll let it go this time, but just remember that for next time."

Ok, so this ticked me off. Notice the bolded part. I thought it to be very unprofessional that she phrased it this way. She didn't say 'because we close at 7', which I would have accepted, she said 'because I only get paid until 7'. This to me seems very inappropriate, since it's unprofessional for her to burden me with what they're paying her. Whether or not she gets paid for overtime is her issue, not mine, and I don't want to hear about it. But I shrug it off and go take a shower.

As I'm leaving the change room, she's looking out the window, with the janitor standing beside her. I put my towel in the laundry, and just as I'm leaving, she reminds me, once again, "Next time you need to shower before we close." I say sure, and leave.

This is where I nearly blew a fuse. I hate getting talked down to because of my age. She wouldn't have said this to me if I was an adult, I think. Plus, she said this in a very assertive way. Not aggressive, but strong. Almost like issuing a command. I considered the whole ordeal very unprofessional on her part. I came very close to reminding her that I'm paying a lot for this membership, and if it means that she has to stay behind an extra 10 minutes so that I don't soil my clothes with sweat then so be it. But I hold my tongue.

And there you have it.

What do you think? Am I justified in feeling as though I have received bad service? Or am I overreacting? Would a complaint do some good? Also, it is not posted anywhere that all members have to be out by closing time. I didn't realize it would be such an issue.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll sleep on it.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    For one thing, I wouldn't be a part of a gym that closes at 7pm on a weekend... I know that's waaaaaaaaaay beyond your control, but that's JMHO.

What I would do and have done is demand that she get a manager and have her say exactly what she said to you in front of the manager.

How much longer do you have on your contract and are you allowed to get out of it w/o fees?

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah that's pretty lame. Pleasantly reminding you that they are closing wouldn't be bad, but I agree that that was unprofessional. I also find that I'm talked down to due to my age, so I can sympathize with you there. I go to a gym as well, and they seem to understand that people pay a lot of money for their memberships, and so they are pretty forgiving when it comes to staying a bit later than closing.

Graeme

4. BuffaloMO

BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ
    Since you knew they closed at 7:00 you should have been out by then.

Workers want to go home at the end of their shift. Don't you? :D

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

While I think that she went about it in the wrong way, I think that she is basically right. If they close at 7, they close at 7. When I had to work these type of jobs (in high school) I found that if you give them 5 minutes past closing one night then the next week you're dealing with 10 minutes, etc. A bit of your attitude about her only getting paid until 7 being her problem makes me think that you really don't care that she only gets paid until 7 or that she might have other things to do instead of chasing people out of the gym after closing comes across as thinking that you're better or somehow more important than her.

On Thursday night my wife and I were in a Honda dealership. They close at 9:00pm and we wound up talking with the salesman until well past 9:00pm. He said something to the effect that it is time to close the dealership and that he would like to invite us back for a test drive. He grabbed his day planner and gave us a bunch of days next week that he'll be available. I thought that this was a very good way of handling a customer who was there at/after closing.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Given that other staff have played loose and fast with the closing rules, you have a beef.

And I agree whole heartedly about the 'I only get paid until 7' bull****.

Then again.. she is new, and often times the new employees have a very black and white attitude about the rules. It takes them some time to learn what the term 'closing at 7' really means.

I'd go ahead and wait another week.. same crap happens next time? yeah write a letter.

7. flying turtles

flying turtles

Mar 14, 2006
    Yeah it sounds like she was rude, but after 7 pm is her time so I can understand why she wanted to get out of there. Since she's new give her some time and she may calm down, but if she is continually rude to you I would mention it to a manager.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Sounds as if you are the inconsiderate one. If you don't want her talking to you like a kid, don't act like it. If you would have gotten your ass out by 7:00, she wouldn't have said anything to you. The world does not revolve around you and your wants. Put yourself in her shoes. She may have children to pick up, feed, help with homework, put to bed, etc.

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Interesting replies...that's why I created this thread.

Working in a retail store that panders to the customer often times means that I end up getting stuck behind a half hour after I was supposed to leave, because customers can't decide and don't realize we are closed. I know how aggravating it is for someone to make you wait longer than your shift says. My beef is not with her letting me know that I needed to go, my beef is with the way she handled it.

Had she been more polite about it, and not acted in such a forceful manner I would have felt fine. The fact was that I didn't realize that my holding them up 10 minutes was going to be such a big issue. I had my time constraints, and couldn't get to the gym any earlier than that. I'm sorry if I kept her from her nightlife, whatever it may have been, but I couldn't help it.

Turock, I know the world does not revolve around me. Nevertheless, I found her to be very rude and inconsiderate in the way she spoke to me. Remember, the world doesn't revolve around her either. Sometimes having to stay an extra 10 minutes to avoid an unhappy customer is life.

Geoff, I don't consider myself better than her. Again, my issue is with how she handled herself. I couldn't make it out of there by 7:00 because I couldn't. I was also unaware that staying behind an extra 10 minutes would be such an issue. Then again, I try to avoid those situations because I know first hand how aggravating it is for the employees. So I don't really know if this is the standard or not. The fact remains that she acted in a manner that made me feel unwelcome.

Anyways, I think I'll wait for now. We'll see how it mulls over.

10. I'd have popped her.

11. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I remember when I worked in a Supermarket - same deal. I was the Duty Manager (shift manager), and was in charge of closing/locking up the store. I would often get the last minute customers that would come into the store on 8pm (closing time). If they only wanted a pack of gum or milk, I'd let them in, but anything more - forget about it.
    The reason: allowing someone to stay back and shop meant having to leave the cash registers open. This meant the cashiers would be late in getting to the cash office to count/balance their cash-draws. This meant that the office-lady would be late in completing the relevant paperwork, which meant that she'd be late leaving. I, of course, could not lock-up until she was finished, and when you've been working for 10 hours straight, every second counts.
    Allowing someone to stay back, even for 5 mins, may set off a chain-reaction that the customer is sometimes not aware of.
    I, however, made sure that I was always paid for those extra minutes - I ain't no sucker;)

Anyways, if you do choose to take the matter further, I would suggest that you only do so if the staff-member was rude to you. If you complain about not being allowed to stay back, they will just refer you to the closing times - the girl was right - you should have been out by 7, so on and so on. However, if she was a b****, then by all means, let management know that you did not appreciate the manner in which you were treated.

Sorry for such a long post...especially since there was very little substance.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You should leave by 7, but thats not the issue in this thread.

She went about it all wrong and you should tell management. Im sure you arent the only person who leaves the gym with a bad taste in his mouth because of her attitude. They'll lose buisiness because of her.

13. I think you're justified.

Sure, closing time is 7 but she handled it wrong.

I find that if ya stay those few extra minutes for someone or help them out, they usually appreciate it and will do the same for you.

I'd say try leaving as close to on time (7) as you can in the future, but if she keeps the attitude up unnecessarily then say something to her manager. A bad attitude isn't good for anything.

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Too bad the young lady was so rude, but I do undertsand her wanting to stick to the seven o'clock close. She is probably not earning more than minimum wage. She may have small children waiting or a grouchy husband or boyfriend who gives her a very hard time for being late or she may fear missing her ride home or any one of many reasons why she does not wish to stay after the closing.

Plus management may really want to enforce that closing hour because it costs so much to keep lights on, air conditioning, or the area in which the gym is located may have rules about how late businesses stay open on weekends, etc.

She shouldn't be rude, but the world is becoming increasingly rude. I'm also not convinced she was rude to you because of your age. I'm 62 and plenty of people are rude to me...often young people, in fact, the reverse of your situation.

I'd let this incident pass even though you feel disrespected. If you have another confrontation with her, maybe speak up then. My experience has shown me to let events like this pass, because she might only work there a few more weeks, or she might do you a favor sometime or might turn out to be a good friend or she might keep on being a rude grouch. My experience is that escalation of hostilities ends up costing the excalator as much as the original perpetrator.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    My feelings exactly.

I seldom get to close the counters I'm working at because you can't just kick people out, especially the polite ones, which I've even let in hours after being closed.

Every workplace is different though and at some businesses the norm is to allow customers to be late and I can't count the times Fred Meyer has let me shop after closing, whereas others have a strict puncutality.

The important thing is to not let a customer feel slighted over the issue, and definitely keep your personal life out of the customers face. She had a right to explain that closing time was at 7:00, but no right to tell you she's only paid to 7:00.

One of my biggest complaints here with other employees is when I hear that they're now off the clock or that something is not their job. My job would be so much easier if I followed suit.

16. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1
    ...But the girl still could have been a little nicer to you. I know that if I was told that I get off work at 7pm and some dude could easily GO HOME to take a shower, but he insisted on making me stay late...I'd be pissed too! Why in the heck does your gym close at 7pm anyways...on the weekend no less!? Maybe on a Sunday night, but that's pretty early for a Saturday. Most of the gyms around here are open really late and really early in the morning. It's a convenience factor for their patrons.

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd probably be do what the girl did; as when it nears the end of my shift at work, I just want to get out. I'm a bit nicer about it unless I've had a rough or stressful day (being a cashier is stressful enough)...

18. +1

My thoughts exactly.

It's not like she kicked you out and didn't let you shower, she just told you to be out on time next time you come. I think that that's fine.

19. I think you're both wrong.

She should have handled herself more professionally.

You should not abuse your rights as "a customer".

She obviously needs to be corrected for her lack of professionalism, but something less formal than being written up that may get her fired or demoted. You did mention she may be new.

You also mentioned you do this on occasion. You should take into fact that you are putting these people out of their way. Consider that you may be "that guy" who shows up late. It may not have not been an issue with the other employees but I'm sure they really don't want to be there waiting for you to take a shower.

If you feel the need to talk to management make sure you remark on all facts so she is only disciplined for what she lacks.

20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Once again, I know I should've left by 7:00. Time constraints make that exceedingly difficult. As I mentioned before, this has happened before, but very infrequently. They had never had a problem with it before. In the future I will make a harder effort to be out by 7:00, but that's not really the point of this thread. The point was for me to ask if I was justified in feeling as though she was being rude and unprofessional.

In any case, I'm going to forget about it. If she is rude to me in the future, then I'll mention it to management, but otherwise it's really just to insignificant to get worked up over.