Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I killing my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stez, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    Hi Folks,
    I've been playing a while but not seriously, gigs to 100 friends etc at the most,

I have been playing through a Marshall 2000. this is a 250 lead amp, but is soooo warm and round it is unbelievable,

question is now I want to start playing more, and gigging more, how bad am I killing this amp? It is plenty loud for what I play and never goes above 4!

Thanks in advance

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Everytime you gig with your amp, it dies a little. Try to sparce your gigs out to once annually.

3. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    Yeah but how bad,
    It has been running ok for the last couple of years, when played about once a month, is it just gonna die on me at some point?

But my practice combo is not up to gigging

4. Get rid of 1/2 of youre friends, then youre only playing for 50 people and you can use youre combo...:)

5. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    Hmm become exclusive I like it

6. Seriously........are you saying this is a guitar amp? If so someone other than me would have to comment on the pro's and con's of using it.....

7. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    Yeah It is a guitar amp,
    I'm looking to repalce it but Money is an issue at the mo, just wanted to figure how long I have before I kill it completely.

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Generally when these things break -speakers are what I assume you're referring to mostly- it is due to a specific incident of abuse. As in, you turned up way too loud one time, let a fried borrow it, etc. It's not as important to think of things in terms of decaying over time. Sure, things don't get any stronger as time and use go on, but when people break speakers it's not normally a case of 'the straw that broke the camels back,' considering use over a period of time.

Unless you're trying to play at sound levels your amp can't muster, I wouldn't expect you to just suddenly sizzle the amp because you're playing a bass guitar through it instead of a six string. Your speakers, however, will be forced to move a lot further in an out to reproduce the low frequencies of the bass. A lot of guitar speakers are not made to move very far, and there are a variety of factors that -can- make them bad for bass. bottom line is, keep an ear of them, and listen for any kind of distortion. If you play with a distorted signal normally, or can't hear yourself onstage, that can be difficult.

9. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    You could always disconnect the speaker in the guitar amp and send a line out to a bass cab.

10. Ohhhh....so it's a combo guitar amp (sorry).....I agree that the speaker would be the issue. Also, when I got my HA3500 not long ago I did what the previous post said and pluged it into my Kickback 15 just to make sure everything worked. Then I got a new cab for the amp ... of couse.....which by the way I just posted to the "Show youre amps" thread :)

11. yea, get a bass cab, at least then your TRYING to be smart about it

12. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    Thanks for the info.
    I have a bass cab, 4x10, it is just the head that is a guitar amp.
    Has anyone here heard of the Marshall 2000? I know it was pre JCM, about 1980 I think, any ideas on what it would be worth as a trade in?

Cheers

13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I think you might be mistaken on the model of the amp. Do you know what series it is (AVT MG JCM JTM)? Is it solid state or tube? I may have missed this already but what is the wattage?

:)

Joe.

14. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    I have had some trouble trying to identify it, Ihave not seen any others,even on ebay.

According to the back of the head
    Series 2000 (noe JCN or anything)
    250 Watt Lead head
    tube, 6 valves though I don't know the make of the valves etc.

If any one has heard of this before any advice would be great,

THanks
    for all your help.

Stez

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Got it.

Click here.

Pretty cool.

Uh...what was your question?

Joe.

16. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think he's asking if playing bass through the head is killing it, and if so, how long before it dies.

17. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Oh yeah.

I think The Clap already answered that question for him.

Joe.