1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I limiting myself by being in love with my set up and sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Sep 6, 2008.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Listen, I'm a P Bass man. I was born a p bass man and will die a p bass man. The first bass I ever bought was a p copy so to me it's home, especially after buying and selling an arsenal of gear only to return to a P bass.

Having said that, I've found that my sound is a vintage rock sound having flat wound strings and my love for using only 15" cabinents.

My style of playing is a mixture of rock and blues. The funny thing is I play a lot in church and from what my experience is with Gospel bassists is that my rig, style and set up is totally left field compared to them. So am I too limited with my style to venture into different forms of music?

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Despite the impression it's easy to get from reading these forums, it's absolutely OK to be 100% happy with your gear and your tone! Especially when it suits the music you play as well as yours seems to.

If you can do exactly what you want to do with what you have and you have no desire for anything else, at least at the moment, then enjoy your freedom. You're free to simply play and enjoy it instead of being distracted by gear lust.

3. In my own opinion I think anytime you stick to one thing you are limiting yourself.

that being said if you are happy with your sound, the guys(gender non specific) you play with are happy with your sound, and the congregation is happy with your sound why brake something that is working fine?

I just came back to bass after 12 years as well as a mostly non musicale guy and I do not even have a sound yet but ive got 3 different basses to play with and find what I like. and I do remember that I liked to spend a little of my practice time finding a song I liked and messing with my sound to see how it changed it.

ok ramble done

4. yanikins

yanikins

Sep 6, 2008
    Gold Coast
    Wow thats really a deep question. I'm the opposite. I went to pick up a replacement head from my music store and purchased an SWR 2x10, just because i wanted something a bit different from my 15'. It all comes down to what you want to do. If you want to play what your playing, where your playing with the gear you have and know, thats what matters.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you are limiting yourself, so am I. Funny how I have more time to play and sound better when not worrying about my gear.

6. Speaking for myself, the worst thing I can do as a musician is play it safe and allow anything to limit my musical growth, creativity, expressiveness, and versatility, so yes, I think your gear is too limited to serve a well-rounded genre-crossing bassist. I'm not a gear whore or churner by any means, but I try to step up to a new challenge every few years.

Try something completely off the map to light a fire under your butt: How about a fretless full-range bass (six string) with rounds and active electronics, and a modern, articulate full range amp. It may take some perseverance, but you'll be revitalized as a player (as least I was). Your old-school gear will still be there if you need it.

Good luck.

7. Your job is to play the low notes. I think the rig you have is up to the task.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I've played an awful lot of different styles of music on a Precison.

I've certainly never felt held back in any way.

There isn't a whole lot that you can't do with a good Precision, particularly if you're heavy into the blues and rock thing. So you won't sound like Jaco. Honeslty, I don't see that as being such a bad thing. ;)

9. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I know exactly what you mean, I will be getting a new bass soon(ish) , it will either be a fender jazz , a fender p ,or a squier classic vibe 50's p. If you gave me a 3 grand boutique bass with
    active eq etc , id still go back to a Fender (or even a squire) J or P bass with flats and the boutique bass would just sit and gather dust

10. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Good for you. You are 1 in 1,000,000. Most people are never happy with "their sound".

Keep on rockin.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Make that 2 in a million. I'm happy as can be with the sound of my P basses, and have been for years.

12. Who sayz people with multiple tones aren't happy with them all? Heh, just now I was messing with my CB in Thuddy P bass and Jaco tones outta one bass.

13. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If you're happy with your tone, go make music. Don't hang around in the basses forum, or you won't be for long.

Me? I'm pretty happy with my tone, I could just use a little bit more volume. Never ends, I swear.

14. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    I think you are in a good place if you are happy with your gear.

Me, I'm happy with a T40 or a Pbass, but have a very bad situation with getting a sizeable rig for playing out. For the time being, I'll settle for my 30w practice amp.

Sorry, this is your thread; didn't mean to hijack.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I think it boils down to "need" vs "want" to a certain extent IMO. I like having lots of different basses, but really don't need much more than a Jazz and a P.

I am also a P guy. I have played P basses for over 20 years and if I didn't play a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and funk with lots of slap, I would be happy with a P as my only bass. I really require a Jazz or Stingray for what I play. I could slap on a P, but a Jazz or SR is much better IMO.

If you are happy, great.

There is a reason why so many people play P basses.... they sound great and can be used for almost any type of music.

16. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    If it aint broken dont fix it!

17. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    If you can make a sound that serves the music you are not limited.

For blues and rock a split coil bass will do fine. I grab my SB-1 strung with flats for certain stuff. However I do find others do better for other things.

Try covering a modern Rush song with a P and flats. :eyebrow:

But hey if you rock the church with that P and the choirmaster is happy, play on and don't sweat it. :bassist:

IMHO rounds vs flats is usually the tipping factor on which bass to use.

Jim

18. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    Words of wisdom.

If you like what you have, and it works for your situation, dont over-think it.
    If the situation changes and you need another sound, get another P and put rounds on it (even for the chili-pepper stuff)
    Rounds on my Pbass worked fine for years for anything (including Rush) before I got another bass

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At first, I was going to say no. You're lucky you've achieved "your tone." But now that I know what your tone is, I'd say yes. You need a J bass and a cabinet full of tens to round yourself out. The problem will be the difficulty you'll have in moving away from your beloved vintage tone. We all tend to gravitate toward our signature tone no matter what bass or rig we're playing. I played Eden amps and J-Basses for so long it took me several gigs to get used to the thicker tone of my Aguilar rig. Eventually, I "warmed up" to it, and the Aggie sees about the same amount of gig time as the Eden stuff.

20. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks guys. Maybe I should get me a squier jazz with rounds on it and play it through my 4x10 cab wich I was trying to sell to get another 15. And just use my 15 for my p with flats. :cool: