Am I losing my head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Runlikegregg, Sep 20, 2021.

1. keep the classic reliable eden

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. double down on the gnome

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I need some advice!
    I have had an Eden WT600 for 20 years. It's been my main and often only head. And I love it, it sounds great, totally reliable and always more than enough power.

Recently I sold my Eden 410 and replaced it with a Schroeder mini 12+L (a 1x12" with a tweeter) that weighs an incredible 18 lbs.

Also recently, I bought a Warwick Gnome that I figured would be a good secondary lightweight head.

The thing is I actually love the sound of the Gnome, it is more than enough power for rehearsals with my volume-conscious 3 piece - I had both gain and master at like 2 or 3 during our last rehearsal.
    I live in NYC so if I ever am bringing a head it will be the lightweight and tiny Gnome (not the 35 lbs Eden).

So...Should I sell the Eden and just commit to the Gnome?

I feel like the Eden aside from being heavy is just kind of serving no purpose for me...in fact it might be a bit too much power for the cab anyway. Or at least the if not too much, then not particularly helpful. The only reasons I can think to hang onto it would be to have a backup head.

dbase, DJ Bebop, BrentSimons and 2 others like this.
  2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Keep the Eden and also get Gnome.

If you like what the Eden has done for your ears in the past, put it in a closet, put it in the garage, park it out of the way somewhere.....chances are your ears will want to hear it again.

I've parted with equipment in the past that I felt was the be all/end all when I bought it.
    Later my ears find a new be all/end all and I trade it in for alittle of nothing only to find on down the road, "Man, why didn't I keep that!"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    Yeah, and my worry is whether I would be able to sell the Eden for enough money to make it worth selling.

DJ Bebop, petch, Max Bogosity and 2 others like this.
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

For me, it was two Mesa M-6 Carbines.
    My ears LOVED em, but my back not so much.
    Thought I absolutely needed to jump on the light weight class D amp band wagon, and please don't take me wrong, I REALLY like the class D heads I gig with.

Sold both M-6's (one was in a road case and worked perfectly, the other needed service.)
    Wanted to sell them locally but couldn't hardly give them away.
    Ended up selling them both with road case for $450.00!

Wish I'd have just parked them for the day my ears thought they were fatigued and needed to hear something different.

Lesson I've learned, if you REALLY like a piece of gear, keep it.....

5. Al Rivera

Al Rivera

Mar 20, 2021
    Keep the eden, its great to have a backup. Also, you may regret the selling it in the end.

pcake, Gearhead17 and Runlikegregg like this.
  6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I have 3 heads currently. The heaviest is 4.6 lbs. The other two in the 3 lb range.
    Perish the thought of carrying a 30 lb head for backup! Sell the EDEN unless you have an undying love for it and are willing to schlep it around, IMHO.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sometimes, this is true from what I have seen.

pcake, DJ Bebop, Dr Zee and 2 others like this.
  8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I gig with my GK MB heads, and have my old SWR ST220 at home to play there, frankly it sounds a little bit nicer - but, here's the important part - not enough to be noticeable with a band.

9. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    Yeah, I think that's true.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    I have 3 gig worthy rigs...they all sound good but my latest rig is about light easy travel. Most of my tone comes from the bass itself anyway. Why sell anything unless you need the space or the cash.

BlueTalon, DJ Bebop and Runlikegregg like this.
  11. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    And that's what I find to be true about so much stuff (basses, heads, cabs, pedals) many of us fuss over . Sure it's fun at home alone or maybe while recording. But in a live setting with another people, subtleties are just lost in the mix.

12. Zoffy

Zoffy Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    I bought an Eden WTX 500 about a year ago to pair with a Yorkville 115 cab. I like the Eden a lot and don't think that I'd sell it (or the Yorkville either). The fan sounds like a Harrier jet taking off when I first turn it on and it (the fan) pretty much stays on the whole time, but when I'm playing it's not as noticeable and the amp sounds great. It's a solid little amp and definitely a keeper - I just wish I could find some rack ears for it.

I'm glad that you like the Gnome; I was thinking about one of those and found your experience helpful.:thumbsup:

John Hofner, pcake and Runlikegregg like this.
  13. Two heads are better than one.
    :cool::cool:

retslock, pcake, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Keep them both. All gigging musicians need two amps.

Crash 56, Al Rivera and Runlikegregg like this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It used to be that people associated a heavy amp head with reliability - heavier meant solidly built. That association is gone - heavy now just means awkward and outdated.

Last night, I played a gig where I use an amp - my big gigs are all ampless, but this one is kind of a coffee house vibe. In the bag with my cables I keep 2 heads - each has the same power rating as an SVT, and it’s easy to carry over a shoulder. The power rating of an SVT is about as small as you can buy nowadays in a decent amp.

The world has changed. Your amp may not be useful to you, but it’s probably not any more useful to someone else.

If there’s a nostalgic bone anywhere in your body, you might want to hold on to it. If not….

Al Kraft, Runlikegregg and agedhorse like this.
  16. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    You've obviously never lived in NYC. However I have a strategy. My ex-wife plays bass and her amp had a voice coil rub. I loaned her my Rumble 200 under the condition that she can't give it back to me unless I ask for it or she moves.

Murch and Runlikegregg like this.
  17. Keep the Eden and use it on occasion at home.
    If you eventually find someone willing to make it worth your while sell it to them.

Al Kraft and Runlikegregg like this.
  18. That’s one heck of a back up head….Tastes do change over time and that is normal. I’d keep the Eden unless you need the money, some other piece of gear that’s causing gas, or it’s just in the way.

Of course, if it’s just in the way, I’ll gladly store it for you. I’ll even power it up on occasion to make sure it’s still working. No charge either.

Runlikegregg likes this.
  19. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    Agreed.. I probably have a few things that I don't really "need" but until I need to free up some cash, I'm just hanging on to them.
    As long as the bills are paid, family is fed and there's sufficient room in the storage area, why sell?

Regards
    Mark

Runlikegregg likes this.
  20. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Just how much money do you feel like the Eden owes you after 20 years of reliable service?

Sounds like the perfect thing to pass on to a young, strong, up and coming player. Or a school music program.

Lobster11, Hachimitsu, DTRN and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021