Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

am I missing anything............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob Terry, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Hello all, I am "almost" positive that I am gonna get a corvette(warwick) 4 stringer. I think it is pretty damn good for the price(about 850) and I was wondering, what are some cons on it? I could use some pros too but I want to make sure I am not missing anything. If there is something bad and say it is a not buy then please put down another bass in the 800 to 1000 dollar price range so I can compare. Thanks in advance.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Corvettes are on the heavy side for some people (not me), and the reach to the first position feels a little long because the bridge is placed high. The only thing I'd suggest is thinking about going used, as Corvettes are on the market very often and for hundreds less than your price. You can find Thumb basses for your price range, if that's what you're into.

3. So I get one used from where, like ebay? and if so, if the bass doesn't play as easy as it does in the store can it be fixed to play that way? How much would a set up fix run me?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not just eBay-search the TalkBass classifieds, www.bassgear.com, www.harmony-central.com classifeds (I got a Corvette there for $450 in near-mint condition). A setup will cost between $30 and $45. And remember you don't always have to pay asking price.

5. and this will get it to play how I want? and about the thumb, whats that like in comparason to the corvette? And os buying online risky(really have to check it out) or is it relatively safe? You have been a great help so far. This should sum it up.

6. Buying online can be risky. I have dealt with several long time members of TB and I have had great transactions with them. Ask for pictures of certain things if you are not sure. If it is someone I am unfamiliar with I will usually ask for picture of something that someone without the instrument probably wouldn't have pictures of.

Geoff

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    doing your own setup is not that tough, and it is highly advisable to learn how to, so that you can get practically every bass you pick up to play the way you like. this way you can make decisions about an instrument more based on the important things like tone, construction and appearance.

8. So I can do this on just about any bass? what are things to look out for that make it not possible on some.

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    ditto...I always choose the classifieds here for buying and selling before other places (ebay). Talkbass is a smaller, more trustworthy community than ebay.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    In that price range you have plenty of choices. You could look at a stingray, a Lakland, a american Fender... the list goes on and on. Have you played a corvette, and do you love the sound? If so, get it. But you should know that warwicks are not universally loved, so make sure you like the sound of it before you buy it.

11. So I can do this on just about any bass? what are things to look out for that make it not possible on some. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, setup is pretty easy. Look at the bridge, and if there's lots of screws and knobs and stuff, then it's probably really easy to set up (or really confusing) but you at least know that you, or somebody, CAN set it up. Pickups should be able to be raised and lowered, ususally by screws on the sides. Take a look at what is adjustable on the instrument, and compare that to other instruments. Is changing strings going to be a problem? Do you MIND having a hard time changing strings? Are all the strings wound the same way? (should they be? not on a warwick) Do the saddles go up and down easily? These are the kinds of questions you want to ask yourself when considering setup. Heck, be one of the few people who actually check out the setup forum....

I agree with tuBass, check for an american p-bass, or even (gasp!) a slightly used musicman! $1000 can buy a lot of bass.

12. i recently bought one myself and love it, the only thing is you should play it and make sure you like it. the brass frets have a very distinct sound , some dont like this. if its an oil finish you need to be willing to wax it like they say to.
    the weight isnt a problem for me. the only problem i have had is getting used to the hot output on it, but padding your input right will take care of this. any other questions you might have , feel free to contact me.

13. What is the Hot out put? What do you mean?

14. if you are looking at the passive model you wont have to worry about it but the model i bought had an active EQ and i had to watch how much signal went in my input. since my amp didnt have a clip light or an active input i was clipping my preamp but this isnt anything to discourage you from buying one.