1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I missing out on something great?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rimshot, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    I love seeing everybody's pedal boards and stomp boxes and toys. That said, I don't own a single bass effect. No distortion/overdrive, no envelope filters, no..um...other stuff.

I've been toying with the idea of trying out an Aphex Bass Xciter, but that's about all that's piqued my interest.

Am I missing out?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No. No you're not.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    effects are a personal taste thing. if you don't feel a need for them, you aren't missing out on anything

4. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Pity, I'm sure my family and friends would much rather see "DigiWhammy" or "Big Muff" on my Christmas list than "67' P-Bass" or "LeCompte Custom"

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No doubt! But the fact is, fx are only awesome if you like that kind of thing. I like fx for their own sake, and I happen to play bass a bit, so naturally I am into bass fx. But if I was primarily a bassist (instead of an fx fiend), I could live happily spending my time and money on straight-ahead bass.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you like tones that a tube amp or solid-state amp can't produce alone (like fuzz tones, funky sounds, etc.), then you'll find salvation in the world of effects pedals.

Otherwise, if you find yourself satisfied with pure bass+amp tone, then you really aren't missing out on much. Most rock, metal, alternative, etc. bands hardly use effects on bass.

What kind of music do you play, by the way?

7. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Well goto a local store such as GC and try out some effects.
    Then youll know if your missing something. I like effects, for me it's like seasoning for food. It gives it a bit of a different flavor.

8. +1

i wasn't that big into effects when i first started bass, but now im hooked. i only have a couple more till i complete my pedalboard. Effects may not be used all the time but they sure sound cool and are fun when you do use them.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    :)

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I'm well pleased with my aphex Bass exciter, but once my quest for fuzz is met, I'm done. I still don't know what the hell an envelope or compressor does though...:bag:

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I've just recently been branded an Effects Dude, for years I was always about the clean tone with very occasional compression or distortion.

I was happy where I was then, and I'm happy where I am now. :)

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you dig clean tone? great. stick with it..

I'm rarely satisfied with JUST clean tone, and that's only when I'm playing in my Jazz trio. Otherwise, I tend to add something all the time.

It's all personal taste and musical styling.

13. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    hey, less stuff for you to carry around! :p

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Even if you're not an effects kinda guy, it can still be fun to mess around with them, and the right pedal can spark a little something and inspire you to play in a way you hadn't thought of before.

Or play in a way you don't normally do; for example I'm not much of a funk guy, but whenever I start messing around with an envelope follower I can't help but get all greasy and funky. :D

Normally I use effects sparingly. For example, I'll just do things like kick in a phaser for a short transitional run, to add a little aural spice.

But sometimes a particular effect can be integral to the feel of a song: "Tempus Fugit" by Yes wouldn't have the same feel without that flanged bass line, and another Yes song, "Starship Trooper", wouldn't be the same without the tremolo on the bass.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There are many, many bass players that plug their bass straight in to the amp (or DI) with no effects and they do just fine. Although I have a small pedalboard, 80-90% of my playing is clean. Effects are only tools to be used to convey a particular feeling. If you're getting the job done in your music without effects, than it's all good.

Warning: Effects are an addictive and expensive habit. The members of the TB Effects Forum take no responsibility for your future GAS pains - however, we will be happy to help you spend your money ;)

16. I agree with Eric. I have a huge pedalboard and when I hear how much tone it sucks it is depressing. That is why I am so glad I bought the xblender. If the song I am playing has no effects I bypass my whole chain with the xblender's switch. The pure tone of my bass into my rig is just so delicious.

It is definitely a double edged sword. :meh:

17. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Ok, back when i band started to do reasonably well, our lead guitarist had a big multi effects so our lead singer/rythm guitarist decided to get a Boss Distortion and Boss Chorus so he had 2 pedals. At that point i had none, none at all, now i have 6 and our lead singer has, you guessed it, still has 2.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I seem to go in stages. Right now, I don't even have a tuner in line. It's bass --> DI --> amp --> cab.

19. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    oh so true...:D

20. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I have smoker friends who insist that I take them out to dinner because I don't have any expensive addictions. Then I show them my board and tend to get a slice of pizza out of the deal.

You know it's bad when a smoker pities your expensive habits.

Still I love it, but I feel completely naked playing without a delay and loop station.