Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

am i missing something?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 22, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for these soundcards that have 8 rca ins (line level, without mic preamps), you'd need either a standalone mic preamp for each of them, or a board that has 8 outputs, correct?

don't most boards have two stereo busses until you start getting quite expensive?

if one was to want to be able to record 8 tracks at the same time, had a sound card with 8 rca inputs, and wanted to get a mixing board that would allow him/her to just plug mics into the board and record 8 tracks...what would one get? or...a board that can output to lightpipe? or...????

edit: just found the alesis studio 24/32 mixers, that have an output for each input. this is cool. but AFAIK not all mixers have this, correct?

i'm trying to see if i can get 8 digital inputs with preamps for under the $800 that the aardvark q10 costs, but i really really can't find one. enlighten me.

2. My guitarist recently bought the Behringer MX2004 or something like that. It doesnt have outs per channel as such, it has one jack per channel that is a send and return. It uses a 1/4" jack, the tip is send, the ring return, and the sleeve ground. So use a ordinary mono guitar lead and you have 8 outs, aka one per channel. That cost us $550 AUS. so halve that again and you have american dollars. Its a great desk too. Behringer surprised me this time.

:D:D

Merls

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    sm pr8 and delta 1010... looks better than a q10 to me.

If you want a mixer you'll have to pay extra, for the eq, auxes, ... .
    If you get a recording desk you will find 'directs outs' which are connected to the multitrack. If you get a live desk you'd probabely have to take a split from the inserts like merlin says, or the groupbusses.

With digital mixers you can use lightpipe but you're very unlikely to find one under 800$.

I was wondering, is there a way to bypass the Q10's preamps?

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they're neutrik dual jacks, so supposedly the mic inputs always have mic preamps but if you stick a 1/4" in there and leave the "guitar preamp" turned off i think you bypass the preamps.

and that 10/10 + SM combo seems like it'd be worth looking into. i didn't know things like the SM existed. thanks :D