Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I missing the point?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Today I played an MIA fender p bass, peavey cirrus, and a warwick 5 string through an SWR workingman 4004 head and 4x10 cab at the store. Not one of the basses sounded like it was worth near it's price. The warwick felt really bad, and sounded really ugly. The P bass sounded ok I guess. It was nothing special. The peavey however was pretty good sounding and felt alright. It has an awsome bridge on it. Do you think that maybe none of these basses seemed quality because I had to play the amp quietly? Maybe if you turn it up loud enough you will bring out the sound of the bass.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    It's possible, but it could also be due to the fact that SWR's Workingman amps don't really sound that great to begin with. (IMO)

3. Depends; the basses could have really old strings on them or could be set up badly; less likely would be damaged electronics/pickups. One thing is that you could just dislike the sound of the SWR; generally people say that it is a modern sounding bass head. Also, playing at low volumes often gives a weak tone, especially when playing with a powerful head and a cab that could handle a nice wattage. Other thing is that maybe you just aren't a warwick or P-bass kinda guy. Who knows.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    basses in stores aren't usually set up and most have bad strings.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    dead strings i reckon. warwicks are a funny ax. some sound great some sound lifeless. stuff at GC or sam ash is set up BAD. real Bad. plug the p-bass into a SVT classic and i'm sure the tone will be right there for ya. :bassist:
    Keep the funk alive!!!!

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    NONE of these basses are bad or "not worth the money". Dead strings and a Workingman setup is not the ideal way to try them out. Not trying to offend anyone with a Workingman,I just don't care for them. -Luke

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I had the same experience with SWR Workingman amps. It might've been the amp, considering I played about 6 or 7 basses through it from 5 different companies and NONE of them sounded good (including Warwick, Modulus, and Fender -- all generally viewed as GOOD stuff).

8. amen brother :bassist:

9. I have a Warwick FNA jazzman Its sounds amazing and probably that ugly sound you talked about was the warwick sound not being amped correctly Next time use an AMPEG!!! Also I've also tried the cirrus and its a very nice axe indeed and very worth the money. so I dont know what are you talking about maybe you dont see why some basses are better than others. you have to check construction,playability,features,woods,pickups,sounds. it all depends on you on what sound you want. adn i my opinion warwick bridges rule and the nut also the have FULLY adjustable bridge even string spacing!! and an adjustable nut!!. they really are awesome for any action configuration and style.

10. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    If a bass needs a great amp to sound good, then why not just get a great amp and save money on the bass?

11. Because plugging in a great bass into a not so great amp is just as bad as plugging a cheap bass into a great amp...

Glenn

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Well said. :)

13. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

So good music can't be made without an expensive bass and an expensive amp?

I think you're confusing musicianship with a big wallet.

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I went to my guitar store yesterday. I played a epiphone Eb-o throught something. Any way the bass sounded great.
    Just because its short scale doesn't mean it's a bad bass. It felt more like I was playing a guitar. I would love to buy that bass. :hyper: :bassist:

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Uh. Where in his post did he mention anything relating to musicianship? He's talking about the sound, not how it will affect someone's ability to make music.

16. good music can be made with a cort action bass and a park guitar amp, all I'm saying is that if you pair up a similar(quality/price) with a similar bass, you'll get the most out of the sound. thats all.

Glenn

17. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    as one very wise soul once said it aint the gear its the chops.
    and the ability to be part of a whole unit; such is the lot of us lowenders. some love the squire, while others go for the alembic. if you can afford it and you are comfortable with the ax then all is well. on a more straight ahead line most folks aint to hot about SWR. :rolleyes: let us rejoice inour differences and remember to keep the funk alive!!! :bassist:
    BTW pre 96 warwicks are the bomb!!! wish i still had my thumb from 92..... I was stupid to sell it.... :crying: