1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I nitpicking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyansDad, Mar 28, 2006.

1. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I am looking into getting a new head and I have narrowed down my criteria:

*Rackmountable
    *At least 300W
    *light
    *Min impedance 2ohms

I have that last one in there so that I can keep my options open for getting a second cab later on (without frying my amp). Am I being nitpicky or are just about all cabs now rated at 8 ohms?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You aren't going to find to many heads ratted with such low wattage that go down to 2 ohms I think...

3. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I should probably clarify: more than 300W is OK. I normally need about 1/3rd that power, but I want to keep my options open for later (in case I am in a band with no decent PA).

I found that there are a bunch of amps that go down to 2 ohms, but the local used car salesmen at GC are no help and GC doesn't carry much that fits my criteria anyway.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Two ohms isn't that useful unless you get up into a higher weight class wattage-wise. At 300 watts it's just about impossible to find a 4-ohm load that it can't handle. Even most small single-woofer cabs can deal with 300 watts these days.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    SWR 350x (or an old bass 350)

450 Watts @ 2 ohms
    350 Watts @ 4 ohms
    240 Watts @ 8 ohms

Eden WT-405

Power 8Ω/4Ω/2Ω 250/405/620W

Eden WT-550

Power 8Ω/4Ω/2Ω 300/500/750W RMS

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    EA Iamp 800
    Eden WT800(B)
    Eden WT550

7. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I like the Eden amps; they have the power I am looking for. I could be wrong, but my impresssion of SWR amps is that they are good, but heavy.

At least 300W (or more) at 2 Ohms is fine for me. The next phase of my master plan is to buy a 2x10 cab. Normally, I would only be bringing that and my lightweight amp to shows. As I usually just run direct to the PA, I only need this for monitoring purposes. If I ever needed real power, I would bring a second cab (the 1x15 I already have).

8. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Pickles ,
    I agree I love mine and I run it through a 4 ohm Goliath III

9. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
  10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am going to go with either an Eden WT-550 or an iAmp 500. I've had the Eden before so I know what I'm getting there. It sounded great with my Bergie HT112. The EA iAmp 500 intrigues me and I'll be talking to someone about them tonight.

11. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Thanks, all. Advice much appreciated.

12. Flipper

Flipper sale: Sadowsky NYC PJ5

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on GB. I think most of my recent thraeds have been over their gear. GOOD STUFF. They've got a new head out that's less power but really light, 3.5 NEO-PAK I think. Doesn't say if it'll run @2ohms. My GBE600 will, 625w, 25 lbs.

13. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The Eden is a very nice choice.
    If I ever get rid of my WT 300, the 550 would be the obvious replacement. I just love the way it sounds.

14. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I'm going to have to disagree with pickles on the SWR 350/350x. Flexability is limited and it doesn't sound anywhere it's rated wattage. Clips too soon...yada yada...

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I never "said" anything about the 350, other than it met the power and load requirements.

In my experience, the older "red face" bass 350s were very fine amps, and I doubt the current generation is much different.

240 watts is not a lot of juice, neither is 350 unless you have a very sensitive cab. What amp are you comparing it to when you say it clips too soon, and where did you have the aural enhancer set?

16. My amp GAS has ended with the iAMP 800. No compromises with it that I can see.

17. Just another suggestion. The Yamaha BBT500 is very light, 500 watts at 2 ohms, and is 400 bucks at musiciansfriend. I dont know if its rackable though.

Dave

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The ability to go to 2 ohms narrows your choices somewhat. One option is to purchase a head that is powerful at 8 ohms or 4. If you buy a pair of 4 ohm cabinets, just build a box to put them in series for 8. It's easy enough and opens up some options for you.

If you options include Eden and SWR I'd say you have some serious listening to do. You can't get much farther apart than that in tonal character terms...

So go audition a bunch of heads and cab's and buy what sounds good. Throw the spec sheets out the window as they do not necessarily translate in to what sounds good on the bandstand ...

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Like I said earlier, I've found the ability to deal with 2-ohm loads to be of limited value until you step up into a higher power category - unless you have some older, odd-duck limited-RMS cabs you must use.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You are talking about the Eden WT-550.