Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I not taken seriously?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have a serious, honest question.

Something I have seen happen a few times, and more than a few times to me, is really irking me.

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable person, as do many others, but I feel like I am not taken seriously. In a thread just tonight, someone posted a question, and I answered it. Then after I put my answer, someone else said that I was wrong. Then someone ( a supporting member) came and said exactly what I said. Then the person who said I was wrong said "Oh that's a good thing to know".

Are the things that I say not taken seriously? Why is what I say not taken as the answer?

Is it because I am not a supporting member? Is it because I'm 16? Is it my hair? If it is my hair, I can change that.

Honestly, why is it that that happens? Are non-supporters discriminated against?

I'm not trying to start a supporters vs. non-supporters war, but this has honestly been bothering me for a while.

2. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    it's the hair ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. I've felt the same sometimes, but I don't think there is any kind of discrimination in this cases. I've read many of your posts and you seem to be a serious person.. The only times I've seen someone's ideas or comments being completely ignored has been when their authors were obviously childish or immature members. In your case, as in mine, I just think someone did not think twice what he/she replied.. I think you must not pay too much attention to it unless a same member keeps on ignoring you on purpose (sp?).

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Probably :( :D

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    happens to me too...I don't let it bug me though.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Jade, I diasgree with you...and since I am a supporting member, I gotta be right :)

Just kidding! Tuba, you seem cool in my book.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this thread is happaning!

10. I have always felt like you HAVE to be a supporting member to get really noticed, either that or A) have a lot of valuable information like pk2r, or B) be super annoying yet not get banned.

I don't think anyone pays attention to what I say anyway, so I'm going to bed.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say you're just a bit too sensitive, sweetie.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, annoyed and a teeny bit peeved is more accurate.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i base who i pay attention to on content of posts. i also pay attention to a lot more folks than i respond to, but that's cuz i sorta have to :D

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh thats funny john...I used to think that people spelled john...jhon.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    here's something that i've noticed in the time that i've been active here - wanna be taken seriously? put your real name in your sig, or even better yet, change your user name to your real name. helps remind people that there's a real person there, and looks less l33t than most nick's, garnering respect almost by default. if you are willing to put your name to your post, it makes the post look more valid.

no offense to those folks who like to use nicks, but that's just my experience and thoughts on the topic.

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    hehe me too

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i've decided that my kewl r&b name is going to be j-hon, when i get big and famous and am being courted by poot diddley, or whatever he calls himself.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    True, I did start my account when I knew didley squat, and was a n00b. You think it is time for me to change to my real name? Many times in posts I do put my name at the bottom, but you think that's not enough?

My one worry is that people won't know me or know the change, and I'll be thrust into annonomousness. I could always put it into my sig...

But I like tuba_bass boy!!! :p

I am going to support soon, and if I do decide to put my real name, I could just put AKA tuba_bass_boy under my name....

Decisions, decisions....

-Nick

EDIT: LOL!!! I just made the connection that you were talking about nicknames, not my actual name, which is Nick lol!

20. Mama Diddly?