Am I nuts? Thinking about swapping Ray for a Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 25, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been playing a Y2K Stingray pretty much exclusively for two years, and with a GK stack it was great for metal, but is a bit too shrill for my tastes, starting to mellow out a little, and the thing is heavy (I'm recovering from abdominal surgery) so I'm looking about going back to something more basic.

I love Precision basses, and I was actually planning on buying a '77 Precision for $699 (remember way back when) instead of my Stingray for that price. But the store sold *MY* Precision the day before I arrived to buy it, and walked with the Ray instead. I was pleased, it was better for me then, but my tastes have changed.

I'm tossing around the possibilities of swapping the Ray for a late 70's Precision (of course I'd need cash involved, my Ray is no prize pig ... it was a player, chipped here and there, dirty, etc) or maybe a Roscoe Beck V...

The RBV is appealing to me for that Fender vibe, plus the low B string, seems to be more ergonomic and comfortable with the asymmetrical neck with a huge variety of tones, while still being passive.

I love my Ray, but it's not making me passionate to play anymore (plus I have to get up and move to play bass since I moved my gear to my basement "studio") so I'm thinking about jazzing up the rig and going more vintagey.

What do you think?
  2. keep the ray and get an Precision of a Jazz :bassist:
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My thinking is this: the Ray is replacable (and I like the newer models better, and rosewood) so eventually if I were going to replace it, I would get a newer model with a rosewood board.

Also, money is a big problem right now, I'm still in debt, and going to college soon. Will be working with the recording guys (sneaking in some recording and engineering classes) so I'm going to need something nice to go along. So I'm going to be a one bass man for a while.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you want a Precision with rosewood board, allow me suggest that you look around and find a used '62 reissue Fender. Used to own one, sold it and now wish I hadn't. At least it went to a good home. They're good basses and you can find them for a reasonable price used.
  5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    If it's "not making you passionate to play anymore" then it's time for something different. :)
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thanks petch, I don't know what it is. I guess partly my upright bass playing has made me long for something more vintage, more simple.

But how do I break it to my mom...she's wierd about things like this. She paid for part of it, it was my birthday gift in 2002, and she's adamant that I don't sell birthday gifts (even though I paid for half of it, plus $190 in store credit I had) so what should I tell her?
  7. w/e fills your need at this dude. If your not liking the Ray, then go for the P.
  8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Tell her that the instrument is no longer inspiring you, your tastes have changed, it is important from a creative standpoint to move on, and to be economically feasible it is best that you sell it to someone who will love it more. If that doesn't work, tell her you're happy to keep it, and how do we finance an additional bass? Where there's a will... :)
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not only do you make loads of sense, you live in the same town as my great Aunt!
  10. Keep the 'Ray for the above reason. ;)

11. Keep the stingray (for your mom's sake) there WILL be uses for it, for sure.

If you're not so hip on the tone right now, try some flat wounds on it and experiment with your technique. I bet you'll find the results to be very interesting.

And by all save save for a P-bass...
  12. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Your definately not nuts IMO Fenders the way to go Im a Fender guy if you like active stuff go for one of the deluxes there awesome , but even a plain old standard MIA is great to. BUT if it makes mommy unhappy maybee you should rethink it or just explain too her by her helping you buy your Ray she was helping you move on to other basses (Fender).
    ...My moms the same way :)
  13. My mom won't buy me any basses any more :bawl: :bawl:

But then...I'm nearly 40!...haha

But she IS posting me a P-bass that I left at her house in America when I moved to Australia! I can't WAIT TO GET IT! :hyper: :hyper:
  14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You're nuts. :D

Sober up, dude. :)
  15. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Sooner or later, it seems that nearly everyone gets "surprised" when they pick up a Fender. :rolleyes:

There is nothing, NOTHING that sounds like a real "P" bass. I bought a brand new 1982 Fender P, and since then I have bought/sold/ or traded the P bass, a Ric 4001, Peavey Foundation, G&L L2500, Carvin LB75, Alembic Orion, and finally bought a 1989 G&L SB-1 (split pickup) (bought it in 2002) because nothing else has that P bass sound. It it so simple to eq that it is rediculous. It is simplicitiy itself. No batteries to worry about, no two-band or three-band eq to fiddle with, just plug it in, adust the tone and volume and play.

For the record, I still have the last three basses, and I traded or sold off the rest. After a 10-12 year hiatus, I broke down and bought another P bass. I love the tone. Mine is not for sale, and it will never be for sale.

I am a happy camper.
  16. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    my friend, you are...

...nuts :rollno:
  17. I currently play a Jazz, and wouldn't part with it - it will adorn my coffin.

I am awaiting the delivery of my Stingray 5 (now 5 months, grrr).

I dunno about the Precision, never had or played one, but with the Jazz and MM (soon), I reckon I will be able to get just about every tone I hear in my head. Sure, the MM has a very bright tone, which is good for certain use, and then the Jazz has a warm, growly attack which sends shivers up my spine. If you were me, I'd get a Jazz preferable to a precision. Just my personal taste.

They are just as heavy anyway....
  18. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    heavy = sustain

19. I had a 2000 MIA p-bass, over the summer I sold it and bought a 92' stingray. Within 3 or 4 months, I sold the stingray and now I have a 73' p-bass. I won't be selling my pbass anytime soon. I'm not saying that stingrays are bad, their just not what I'm looking for sound wise right now.