1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I nuts to prefer the Longhorn over the P ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobbadfinger, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:50 PM.

1. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    I know, different animals; but I like the midrange character of the Dano better, and "lack" of growl.
    Precision is considered THE bass to have and how it sits nicely in the mix etc etc but I'm just a guitar player hacking on the bass at home.

Dano has Roto 77 flats, P sports TI Jazz rounds. Both are comfy to play - obviously the short scale has advantages to what I'm used for - and I managed to get that (one trick pony) tone I enjoy from both basses.

I have lots of guitars, not my plan to start collecting basses. (okay, an 4001 wouldn't do me no harm)
    Question is: do I sell the P or get some flats to him ? :D

2. They both sound good, play whichever one you prefer. If the Longhorn makes you want to play it more than the P does - there's your answer, right?

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Yes, but it is a good kind of crazy. :thumbsup:

TN WOODMAN and Killing Floor like this.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I had both. They were great basses but the longhorn got more attention.

mindwell, lowdownthump and TN WOODMAN like this.
  5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I vote nuts, simply because you thought about selling the P. Get some flats for it and enjoy having 2 tricks in your stable.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Given your technique, setup and playing style (Having watched at least most of a ninety second video, I consider myself an expert), I would say that the Dano suits you better. I think the tones are similar, but I agree the Dano sounds better in your hands.

You can still try flats on the P, though. It isn't so big an expense that you shouldn't try that first before you decide whether or not to keep it.

J R Knots, craig0316, dkelley and 2 others like this.
  7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    My Dano is my main bass . I'm an old Pbass guy .

JIO, Rocker949, bassdude51 and 4 others like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm with zoonose : it's about preference.

also (and this is just IMO): the P-bass is something to 'settle' on if nothing else floats your boat --- you can't go wrong with one, but there are lots of options that are better/superior depending on your goals and 'style'. if you don't know what you want = get a p-bass...it works! "sits nicely in the mix" = BS! :wideyed: i.e., any ax will sit great in the mix, if attended to for that reason/goal. ergo: it's a myth! ....perpetuated by folks who don't have longhorns, or PJs, or Js, or ibanezes, or stingrays, or anything else that they like better.

play what you want and give up trying to please the smallish herd by trying to 'belong'! good luck making up your own mind! :thumbsup:

(i'd keep 'em both! :D )

9. OT, but if I were you I'd put some heavier gauge strings on those or raise the action and get rid of the slap. I would put La Bella DTF on the P, probably on both actually. I think the P has a lot more presence and bottom.

dkelley likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    My guess is the Rotos kinda settle the Dano a little. I think it sounds really good. And I'm playing a P with TI 10 minutes ago. And the Danos look cool in my opinion.

Bobbadfinger likes this.
  11. A great p with great flats is never redundant or superfluous in a bass man’s quiver. Period.

I’d love to have a Dano Longhorn but can say for certain I’ll never not own a p bass or a few. (Currently 2 early single coils, 2 split coils, and 6 p/Js.)

By the way, huge fan of Joey Spampinato of NRBQ and his work with a Dano and later Jerry Jones Longhorn . Usually through a SVT and 810.

dan1952, ElMon, bobyoung53 and 2 others like this.
  12. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Based on that recording, I think the P sounds better. Do you have other right hand techniques? Both basses can sound quite different by changing technique.

KoalaOnBass, bobyoung53 and dkelley like this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I do a lot of electrical rewirings for folks, and always characterize pickups impedance wise when doing that. (I design circuits for a living, so this stuff is right up my alley).

Most P bass pickups have a peak in the upper midrange - the inductance of the pickup coil resonates with the capacitance of the cable - this gives the sound a signature. You can damp that resonance by turning down the tone knob a bit, but the rolloff above that is still there.

Danelectro’s pickups are lower in inductance, so the high frequency rolloff occurs a bit higher frequency wise. They also damp the resonance; there’s no real peak to the response.

Of course Danos are hollow (the tone masonite and tone air inside do contribute to the sound). That, and the pickup differences mean a Dano and a P will sound different.

If I had both, I’d probably use both - having instruments with diverse voices is usually a good thing. It’s not “better” or worse - it’s just different.

matante, Haroldo, john akers and 2 others like this.
  14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I know this could seriously damage my Talkbass credibility but ....

If you're really a guitar player who's just hacking on bass at home, then I'd say sell the Precision and put the money into guitar gear you'd actually use.

15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I prefer the P but it’s completely up to you.

16. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    First of all thanks for all replies, some great info here.
    Other than quoting each, I'll try to address all in once here.

I prefer to keep both really (unless I need the money), but not, I have all the guitar gear I need/want.
    I bought this P with flats actually (Chromes) which I didn't cared for, and heavy gauges are not my thing, but playability and easiness on fingers. I played on some La Bellas on a friend's bass, bridge cables even worse than Chromes (but sounded great for sure).

Actually I think I have no technique at all, but I prefer tone of fingers. Don't care for bridge tones, but on Dano it's a bit too much over the neck indeed, due to no good place to rest the thumb...the "Geezer/Harris" slap was not intentional really. I play with a pick also, especially when there are too many notes to handle with poor right hand technique.

I have some Pressurewounds on order (for both basses), so I guess this journey just started...

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm a huge P-bass fan, but I agree with you about this. I think most recording engineers, if they are being honest, will tell you that they don't prefer a P bass because it is the best possible bass tone. They choose a P bass tone because it is "good enough" by default. Using a P bass saves time, and sadly, having a great bass tone isn't all that critical on most recordings.

Of course, while any P bass is good enough in almost any situation, a great P bass has tone that is the best of all bass tones.

woodyng2 likes this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg :thumbsup:

woodyng2 and foolforthecity like this.
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've owned a Dano Silvertone bass for 42 years and have no problem playing it on my gigs instead of my P. I also had a Jerry Jones Longhorn which was fascinating...the Sadowsky of Danos :roflmao:

With a pick, it really rules. For pick playing I would take it over the P any time. It also is nice for fuzz bass, because it doesn't sustain as well as a P so the added sustain of the fuzz is more mangeable.

One of my favorite examples of a Dano bass in the hands of Joey Spampinato:

Another great one, with Pete Townshend (!!!) on bass:

20. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Nobody's nuts for liking what they like. :thumbsup: Good for you not succumbing to the group think.

I'm not a danelectro fan, but don't let that stop you. If you don't like the P, there's no crime in letting it go.

Haroldo and zoonose like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021