Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I Nuts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Got a duo gig coming up with a very good guitarist (any New Yorkers know Lenny Argese?) in a no-pressure room with a roomy stage. I've been wondering for the longest time how my to-die-for orchestra bass would do on a jazz gig. I love my jazz bass, a 1937 DeLeone, but...
    I've got Obligatos on all my basses, and my custom made K&K (all hail Bob Gollihur) can be moved from bass to bass in 5 seconds.
    So I want to bring two basses to the gig; am I nuts?
    They're in picture #3 at http://lordonly.net/Images/John/talkbassass/don4131/

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Are you nuts? Certainly.

Are you nuts because you want to take two basses to a single gig? Not at all. I've done this several times, and while it was a pain in the @$$, it satisfied my curiosity beyond a shadow of a doubt. And although I've been too embarrassed to admit it until now, once I even took two large amp setups to the same gig so I could compare them. Again, the experiment got results.

Go for it.

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I agree with CF, you are nuts.

I digress. My biggest concern would be the safety of bass #2 whilst I am playing bass#1. You said you have ample stage area, but you never know when some inebriated slop is going to take a nose dive into a parked, large, stringed instrument.

4. So you're nuts, so what ? Join the club :)
    What's wrong with bringing two basses to a gig, or even four for that matter ?
    So long as you're not hurting anyone, do whatever the hell you want ... that's my motto.

5. Obviously, you've never heard me play.

6. If you're really so bad it hurts, then you can always play air-bass at the gig ...
    that way you can even bring ten airbasses, no problem at all :)