1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

am i overplaying?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by stinger12345, May 2, 2010.

1. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I recently recorded a bassline to a song I originally recorded like 2 years ago. That's why the song sounds so elementary :p. The guitar riffs get kind of busy so I sort of chose to stick with roots and 5ths, because I thought that would sound the best with the song. I'm still trying to figure out bass' "place" in the songs I write. Just wondering if it sounds like I'm overplaying too much...Thanks!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/75647831c22c1d5c/

2. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    Mostly it sounds fine. But there are parts where the tightness of the bass with the drums suffers because you are playing too complicated.

If it's really really tight you can be pretty busy, I think, and it will still sound good, but if the tightness suffers you are best to do less. Don't be afraid of simplicity or repetition. Those things are not boring, they are GOOD.

3. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Not even close to overplaying. In fact, I could have used more presence from your sound in the mix. From what I could tell, you were right on time...the ensemble sounded pretty tight.

What britpicker said about simplicity and repetition, this is absolutely correct. However don't be afraid to explore some other notes in your lines. As long as you continue to hold the foundation, that is :)

4. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Thanks for the replies guys. It's weird, at times I thought the bass tone got a little too boomy, but then at others it doesn't really cut through the mix as well. Over 100 views and just 2 comments though, is it THAT bad!? lol

5. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nope, but these types of threads usually don't get much in the way of responses on this forum. Not sure if it is lack of interest or maybe people feel they don't know enough to comment...i don't know what the reason is

I thought it sounded good, nothing stood out as far as overplaying to my amateur ears.

6. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    It must be the first, there's a saturation of talent here...thanks for your time though!

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is one of those old cases of "If you think you might be XXX, you probably are."

Whenever I think might be overplaying, I start throttling back.

8. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Bah! You can never overplay too much!:bassist:

I can't download from that link so I don't know.

9. jazzy82slave

jazzy82slave

Jun 9, 2009
  10. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Sounds good to me. Bass tone is overpowering the mix (at least in my headphones), but you're not overplaying.