Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I paranoid? NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    So I just bought a korg dtr-1000 tuner and a BBS sonic maximizer. I have a WT-800 head and an Ampeg PR-410 HLF cab. I run the tuner in the tuner out and the maximizer in the effects loop. So I'm playing in the band and you would think that i could be easily heard? Well for some reason tonight i had NO head room. I would turn up and my output limit lights would light right up so i would have to turn down. I couldn't be heard over the guitar and it was coming out a mesa nomad 100watt combo amp. Is something wrong with my rig? Is there anyone here familiar with the eden 800 or/and the PRO-410HLF cab? I'm going crazy guys and I need you to help me gain my sanity back :help:
    Also, doesnt anyone know someone i can talk to about this problem? (if it is one assuming im not retarded)

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Go back to the basics. Unplug the unneccessary things and try it. If you still have a problem when you're down to bass->cable->head->cab, then try switching cables, then basses, then heads and cabs. That'll help you know where, if any, problem lies.

Ray

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My bet is that its the maximizer that's causing the problems. Disconnect it and see.

4. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    you think so? Hmmm... that sucks. is there anyway i can still use it and have the amp work fine? oh also, am i under powering my cab? i hear its bad to underpower a cab, i.e. 200 watts into a 400 watt rms or in my case 400watts into 600 watts rms? Is there a way i could bridge my amp and put out 800 watts into 8 ohms into my 600 watts at 4 ohms cab with the gear i currently have?

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st, the cab is a 4 ohm cab that is rated for 600 watts. sorry, just drives me nuts. :)
    anyhow, no the eden won't bridge into a 4 ohm load. probably your problem is eq somewhere. try not boosting ANY lows, and keep the eden's enhance knob at 9 O'clock or LESS. Also the sonic maximizer can do some low end boost, and the HLF cabs are a little too boomy (IMO) and a tad mid shy.
    People hear mids. also, bass frequencies will eat up all the power in your amp really fast and cause it to start clipping at a much lower volume than if they are left flat.

also, do a search in the amps forum for "eq bassics" (yes that's misspelled, but that's how ya find it - :p )

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    eq bassics thread

and BTW, as long as you aren't clipping the amp you won't damage that 600 watt speaker with a 400 watt amp. clipping doesnt destroy speakers in and of itself, but it can result in the amp putting out close to twice the wattage (i.e., 800 watts) which could give your cab problems.

7. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    hmm, i see. thanks guys. I just found out that Eden is making a new WT-800 that is suppose to bridge at 4 ohms and deliver 1000 watts. This would be ideal for my cab because as far as i know its better to have more to twice as much as the rms rating on your cab. I just bought my WT so it MIGHT be one of the newer WTs but its highly doubtful... sigh. so there is no way to run 8 ohms into a 4 ohms cab?

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not really. no allowance for changing the laws of electromagnetism and all. still 400 watts into the cab should be really loud if you dont overdo the bass boost