1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

am i right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elavate7, Apr 11, 2010.

1. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i have 2 cables connecting the head and the cab.....is this right? its an 8 ohm cab

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    no. you should only be using one cable with one cab.

3. No you only need one speaker cable to a 8 ohm cab unless it is a split stereo cab.

4. some cabs have it set up so that you can run each section as 8 ohms, or the whole cabinet as 4 ohms. Mesa and ampeg have cabs like this. Usually a 4x10 section on top of a 1x15. I its a single 8 ohm load do not do that. You could hurt your amp or cab or both depending on how the cab is wired.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very dangerous, what you're doing. Both the amp AND cab can be killed. One cable from amp to cab, unless it's a situation like calverasgrande described.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    in many cases the jacks on the cab, and on the head are in parallel, so all the OP is doing by hooking up two cables is complete redundancy, and is absolutely unnecessary.

7. If the 2 cables are IDENTICAL in length & electrically, it's complete redundancy. A difference in length or impedance could generate a lot of smoke.

OP, if this is being done to increase current-carrying ability, it's still a very bad idea; get a properly sized cable.

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I sense a youtube moment coming on...

9. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    thanks, ill take a cable out! thank God i asked before i played on it lol

10. SanDiegoHarry