1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I running my LMII too hard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lm183902, Aug 4, 2008.

1. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The band I've been playing with lately is LOUD!. Like really loud, in a very small room. Anyway, I've been setting the gain on my LMII at noon, per usual, but I've bumped the master to around 11 o' clock, which is quite a bit higher than I've needed to in the past. Is there anyone else who has been pushing theirs this hard for great lengths of time? it definitely gets a bit warm, but I haven't had any problems yet. I'm just hoping doing this constantly won't have any adverse effects.

2. IMO and IME, just like any other amp, if it doesn't sound 'clipped', you should be just fine. I drive both my LMII and F1 HARD many times into a large 4ohm cab.

These amps (like most other high quality units) have safety shut down circuits, etc. So, the worst that should happen is that your amp will go into 'safety protect' mode briefly. If that happens a lot, it's time for more watts. I don't expect it will though.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I usually keep my Gain around 12 or 1 o'clock and my master around 9. Had a five hour rehearsal on saturday and it didn't even get warm... I don't think this helps you though. Sorry:meh:

4. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    I keep my master and gain at 12 o'clock and havent had a problem yet and I have have played for 4 straight hours before. It will get hot, but thats the thing with any amp. Have you ever seen how loud a tube amp gets, this is nothing.

5. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Answer: No.

(You consider that running your head too hard?)

6. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I guess I don't consider it incredibly hard, just a bit harder than I'm used to. I'm running it with an epi T-410, so normally I barely have to turn up to overpower folks in a full band setting.

Thanks for the replies guys.

7. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Your LMII's clip light will generally come on before the amp actually goes into clipping. It's a warning device. If it's full-on or on most of the time, you are running your gain too high.

Don't mean to assume things here, but it seems like people may be arbitrarily setting the gain at "noon". Since most people like a nice strong signal, what I generally do is:

Find the point where the clip light comes on when I'm playing about as hard as I will, then back it off a bit. It's okay usually if the light glows a bit from time to time hitting your hardest notes.

This is about 2pm w/ my passive p-bass. Active elects. will require less gain.

Other than that, crank it up!

8. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I definitely set the gain until the clip light comes on, then back off a tad, to the point where it will only activate if I really dig in too hard. But, the gain setting wasn't really worrying me, it was more the master. Most of the time, 9 o' clock would do it, which I guess is rather wimpy,and not getting the most out of the amp, but it provided the volume I need in some situations.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Markbass head is okay. Are you running those two things that hang on the sides of your head too hard?:meh::):):):):)

10. That would actually be a more important question:cool:, and have more serious consequences.

11. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    For gigs, I almost always set my gain at 1:00 sometimes 2:00 depending, and then add the master as I need it which is usually around 10:00. I don't go past 2:00 with my particular set up (bass and cabs). On occasion I've run the master up to 12:00 ... no problems. Of course depending on if I'm using a 4ohm 212 at 500w or 8ohm 112 at 300w makes things vary a bit. Just don't clip it or make your speaks fart out.. then you're setting are too high most likely. My active bass's low control can cause too much input gain so I adjust accordingly.

12. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yes, I believe I am running them a bit too hard. Too much of this and I'll have tinnitus in no time. I'm about to invest in some custom ear protection. I've stood next to many a crash cymbal, which never heeds a good result.

13. sonrise

sonrise

Jul 19, 2008
    orange county ny
    AMP no problem
    Ears big problem

14. I use a LMII pushing a 8ohm 410 and a 8ohm 18, and get crazy piss loud. never had a problem, left it on for days once a a recording studio too, still no problem. best ss amp ever imo

15. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I had never had the Master higher than 9-10 o'clock for jamming and band rehearsals playing through an AE112. After a sound check on the fly at our first gig, my volume needed to come up and I dialed it up to 12 o'clock. Not only was it loud enough, but it's like I woke it up.

Played for three hours without issue.

16. I usually run the following setting on my LMII:

Gain - 11 o'clock
    Volume - 9 through to 2 depending on venue.

No problems at any time with clipping, distortion etc.

17. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I tend to run my SA450 or LMII with the master between 9 o'clock and 10.30 in to a 4ohms Schroeder for most of my gigs. Sometimes ive gone to about 1 o'clock and while i do feel some warmth after a gig so far ive not had any issues.
    Master set just below clipping light. As i use a wireless system this can also dictate how the gain is set but i dont let the blue light come on.

18. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'm writing while listening to a permanent hiss/whitenoise in my ears. Don't walk, run to get custom ear protection. I use it all the time now but a little too late. I understand that for some folks that tinnitus can drive them crazy. So far i'm good. Maybe I'm already crazy. :eek:

19. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Turn down the rest of the band.

If that isn't possible, consider a different band. Ear protection will keep your hearing somewhat safe, but if the other musicians don't understand the concept of volume, why bother? As they go deaf they'll simply try to get louder.

They certainly won't be able to play any indoor venues if they insist on extreme volume levels.

20. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    What I want to ask is WHY are you playing so loud in a small room?

In a small room you're gonna be getting a lot of reverb off the walls.

Have you got into the dreaded volume wars? Maybe EQ considerations are more important than volume right now?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021