Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I safe to run my SS amp with no speaker load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Nov 10, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I searched this question but couldn't find a clear answer. I have my Mesa M-2000 and it only can handle a 4-Ohm load. Occasionally I like to hook up my "big rig" which ends up with two 2Ohm loads (perfect for my QSC 3402).

Now can I be safe just using my M-2000 as a pre-amp, without any speakers plugged directly into it? Or do I have to bring along something to match the impedance. I know this is true for tube amps, but what about SS.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't think it's a problem with SS amps.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    The real problem lies in the output transformer, 99.999999% of SS amps have no output transformer. In other words, you'll be fine.

4. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I agree with these fellows.

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    No problem running the M-2000 without speakers. As a matter of fact, it's designed to do that for direct recording per the manual.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Tube power-amp sections: only use the recommended loads (usually 4-8 Ohms), NEVER use without a load;
    SS: use more than the recommended minimum load or dont use a load. Safe without a load, usually

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    As others have mentioned, with a solid-state amp, the load impedance only has to be equal to or greater than the specified minimum.

Here are three examples of how that works with amps of typical minimum load impedances (8, 4, and 2 ohms) and nothing connected:

Amp's specified minimum load impedance: 8 ohms.
    No load connected = infinity ohms.
    Infinity ohms > 8 ohms.
    Verdict: Okay

Amp's specified minimum load impedance: 4 ohms.
    Infinity ohms > 4 ohms.

Amp's specified minimum load impedance: 2 ohms.
    Infinity ohms > 2 ohms.