Am I sane?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Oct 21, 2004.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I was at the local Music-Go-Round this week getting a guitar stand, when I saw a late model Epiphone EB-O for $150 and cringed, tehn laughed, then actually picked it up. For some reason beyond my understanding, I sat around playing it for a good 15 minutes and actually liked the tone... a lot. The action was very good and low, the neck was smooth and fast, and the tone had a strong and clear bite. I probably would have bought it if I wasn't so poor. Was this a factory mistake, or have other people played EB-O's they actually liked? Maybe I've lost it...
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

a lot of players have and play EB-0's. Gaurantee someone will be happy you were broke. You can find some toastie gear and prices in MusicGoRound with the right timing but you have to know your stuff cause all they understand is profit margin. Basically a money mill with a music store front. I'd forgot all about them but they have an online site that you can check their currnet gear anywhere in the country.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I hated my EB-0... It was worse than bum-wipings on cake.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like the new Epiphone Elitist EB3, the tone would be perfect for playing rock like Clutch or Queens of the Stone Age.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Exactly why I asked the question in teh first place. I thought same thing for a long time. I want to know if this is some magical EB-O, or if my tastes ahve chagned a ton.

Music go Round is indeed a hit and miss place- I took lessons tehre for quite awhile, and they order my custom string sets for me, so I'm in there somewhat regularly to check on the recent trade-ins.
  6. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Some are good and some arent so good, it also depends on how they were treated throughout their "life" and if they were modded at all.
  7. JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    It never ceases to amaze me how good some of the import basses can be. I currently play a Roscoe SKB3006 but before that I had a Dean Edge six-string. It was a great playing instrument with a supprisingly tight "B" for around $600!
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    If you find an EB-0 that's likeable.. Buy it.. A magical hapibapicus is probably trapped in there or something.
  9. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i've picked up basses like that...expecting to throw up all over the poor 4stringed beast...but ending up loving it...i have a 94 fender precision that says squier series in fine print on the headstock...daddy's junky music was sellin it for $119 so i thought it'd be a junker...i played it...i fell in love...i went home with it that day...action was amazing and sound was better than most new precisions out there...of course i modded it...because thats what i do...but it was just as beautiful stock...
  10. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya i like the Eb0s they have that thick mudbucker tone (on some of them) and are short scale. id tap one if it came my way.
  11. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Bringing it back...

I'd definitely love to have one of the SG style bodies if I could put a longer neck on it. Does anyone else make an SG style bass besides Epiphone?
  12. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    ooooooo, pretty..... I wish it was 35" tho' ;)

If anyone sees the red ESP selling used for rather cheap (or if you're selling one), please PM me- even if only the body is salvageable (broken neck, et cetera) cause I wouldn't mind putting a new Treker 35" neck on it :bassist:
  13. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Are you sane?

No silly.......I am :eyebrow:

Yea that ESP not to bad...iv played one and seemed a little thin to me. but id say let the guitarist have the shape :)
  14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    No you're not. Now help me tie this rope around my toe before the yellow rhino collects my taxes.
  15. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Holy revived threads!!!

I had forgotten about this. In retrospect, I am glad I did not buy the bass because it would not have gotten played much. I no longer have any desire for an EB-0 at all, particularly since I am neavily in the DB world now.