am I screwed? (touched the bow hair.)

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Christoph29, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Christoph29

Dec 30, 2005
    Well my parents did and stuff, I just rented a double bass, I've never touched one until today and my parents touched the hair on the bow...and In the book I have, it was all like "Never touch the bow hair."

And bows can be the bow screwed?
  2. Depends what they did with it... If they just touched it you should be fine... however if they rubbed up and down it you may have a few problems... I have touched my bowhair and haven't expierenced any problems... still try to avoid doing it though
  3. Christoph29

Dec 30, 2005
    Well, What does it ruin exactly, or what does it affect? How would I know if it's bad?
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You're probably just fine, unless they had chicken grease on their fingers or something. You just try not to handle the hair too much so that you don't get it all greasy and unwilling to hold rosin.
  5. Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Yeah it should be fine. The only time you want to touch the bow hair is to get something out of it (maybe like a chunk of rosin that got in there.) But make sure your hands are clean.

I think the arguement is that if you dirty your bow hair, you'll be taking away the bite of the hairs and hurting your sound. Depending on how much you play, you'll prob. need the bow rehaired once a year (give or take). That is around $40-70 here in Chicago.

Can bows be expensive? Oh yeah, just look at my post about my new bow.
  6. Christoph29

Dec 30, 2005
    I guess I should be alright,

while I got this thread running, could anyone give me a link for someone new to upright bass? like a thread maybe?

I'm pretty experienced in playing bass guitar but yeah, it's not the same :D
  7. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Bad on the bow hair:
    1. Greasy Fingers, as stated earlier
    2. Hand Lotion

To clean bow hair:
    1. Clean tooth brush
    2. Clean Pet comb - fine teeth for flees and ticks (I use one daily to remove exess (sp) rosin on the advise of a former teacher).

Bow hair requirements:
    1. Rosin sticks
    2. Hair has some elasticity (sp). i.e. release the tension on the hair when you're not using it.
  8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you haven't done so, read through the newbie "stickys" at the top of each sub-forum.

And, could you please fill out your profile?