1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I selling out as a Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by page, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Ok here's the deal. For many months now I have searched for a permanent band. I've played with many groups who weren't really serious and I have grown very tired of it. I finally find a group and their sound is great and guess what? THEY WANT ME TO FRONT! No bass, they already got one, just sing and add my trumpet occasionally! I'm an ok singer but I tend to get all theatrical so I guess I'd be an ok Frontman but I dunno I if wanna go out without an instrument! What say you guys?

2. get a tamborine - there's the solution!
    A gig's a gig - even better when you like the guys! I'd do it, and still keep an eye out for a bass job. Having the experience of being a singer will be great for you! And practising your voice can go hand in hand with practising bass!

Kinda funny... You'd get to sing AND blow your own horn... :rolleyes: :p

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    In order to sellout you need cred.

No offense, but I think you're going to be okay in that respect. Unless you're heading up some underground bass revolutionary recruiting campaign that I haven't heard about.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Aren't they the same thing?

:p

And go for it, it's an enjoyable band, you won't haev to learn basslines so you can have something on the side if you want for bass, and if they're bassist departs, you're first in line.

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    No way it can be selling out unless you decide to do something you don't like or don't agree with for nothing more than money.

On the other hand, as long as you can enjoy yourself up there, we've all got to make a living.

Take it as a compliment anyway, you've got to have something going on to get an offer to front!
    Go rip 'em up!

6. Bust out the Accordion.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tambourine players get more chix. Go for it!

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If your a bass player, there's no such thing as "selling out". I'm proudest of my work when I play roots with a groove instead of displaying chops, because it makes the song and the band better as a whole. In Nashville sessions they call it "eating sh*t". Am I selling out because I each sh*t to make the song groove and sound better? In my book, nope.

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    If you want to play bass in the band, dont do it, if you want to sing, do it...

Neither makes you a sell out in my eyes, you're still making music and doing want you want to do...

10. Just ask Davy Jones!

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Why not? Experience is experience and having played the trumpet is something to add to your resume. Maybe you'll get a gig one day because you can sing, play the bass and play the trumpet!

12. selling out = making a living

if you wanna make money and have a job, do the gig. I don't really believe in the idea of selling out. If you are trying to make music your day job then you need to go where the cash is. Support your family and self first.

good luck

13. you could always take up guitar and be one of those singers who plays a really easy guitar part only during the solo...

14. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Or.... take the gig and get some great singing chops together, get that trumpet thing going too (who knows what gig in the future will make good use of those skill levels).

And consider (depending on the style of music you're playing) get a piccolo bass and solo on that and/or get a sub-bass (F#, B, E, A) and free the current bass player from the roots and let them solo or do interesting counter-melodies.

Performing is better than not. Make good use of it. Make it an opportunity.

15. Theremin...

it solves all problems and makes the people go "whoa!!" lol

16. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    sing and play the cowbell and I will let it slide...

Do it if you want to...
    I was going to play guitar for a band but decided not to because bass is my baby. If you can get away with playing everything or doing something different then do it.

Plus if it doesnt work out, now you would be a bassist who can do backing vocals because you are more experienced from this stuff.

You'll be more marketable

17. Well my trumpet skills aren't lacking at all, I'm gonna add that to the band frequently. Now allow me to brag and display my trumpet cred:
    2nd Chair, 1st Symphonic Band(Hs)
    Lead ,Jazz Band (Hs)
    Full college ride already in the bag

All from my trumpet playing so Im not worried about that.

But yeah, I'm gonna do it. I figure I'll do like the dude that sing with Sunn O))) sometimes;paint my face and wear black robes or maybe pull a Peter Gabriel style act!

I'm jamming with them tomarrow , should be fun.

18. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Easy, no one kisses like a trumpet player. That's probably the epitome of selling out right there.

[trust a one time first-chair-johnny with regular Eb range :bassist: ]

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

No - but you won't be allowed to post here any longer , I'm afraid.....:meh:

;)

20. This is a wind up isn't it? Blowing your own trumpet like that ??? :D

It must be great to be a good frontman (or frontwoman! :) )
    GO FOR IT!