Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I Stupid or What?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Okay......I have an MIM Fender Standard Precision that I really like. It is midnight wine and I changed the pickguard to black. I think it looks really good that way. Here it is:

[​IMG]

About a month ago, I bought a black Fender MIM Jazz bass on eBay for about $250. It's a nice bass and nothing at all was wrong with it. But then I had the chance to trade the fretted neck from my Jazz for a fretless one. I did that and swapped the necks. I bought a Gotoh bridge and changed bridges. And I changed the pickguard from white to black.

Now yesterday, I was browsing through eBay and saw a midnight wine Jazz body. I thought it would be nice to have my Precision and Jazz in matching color schemes, so I went ahead and bought the body. And now I am thinking that I should probably just replace the pickups while I am at it.

So in the end, the only thing left of my original Jazz bass will be the control plate.

Is that stupid or what?

Jim

2. That bass looks nice.

And whatever works for you with different components and such is all good.
    As long as you like the look/sound/playability.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think its funny, but not at all stupid.

4. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I think it is funny as well, thats actually really cool, might as well keep that control plate, its pretty sweet.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Well...as I was ordering the new pickups, I decided to go ahead and get a new control plate too. Now, I can either sell the complete body/bridge/pickup/electronics unit or keep it together and put on a Mighty Mite maple neck I have sitting here.

Jim

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wouldnt hurt to throw the mighty mite on, but if i were you, id make it kick booty and get an even better neck on ebay for it.

7. matching basses is always rad. and no i dont think your idea is stupid at all.

8. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Thats kind of sad...I mean you could have had awesome stories about it "Yeah...the only original thing on this beast is this *knock on control plate*" Or maybe thats stupid...I don't really know :meh:

9. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Nah, makes perfect sense to me.

A friend once gave me a cheapo Stagg Telecaster-copy guitar, except that I didn't like the colour, and the pickups were rubbish, and the tuners weren't great. First thing I did was get new tuners. Then I got a new body from Warmoth, which didn't fit the neck, so I got a new Fender neck, and a new neckplate. Then I got a humbucker (and pickguard to fit) and a really nice-sounding vintage bridge pickup, which didn't fit the bridge (which didn't fit the body either), so I got a new bridge. The only original parts of the tele are the control plate, pots, switch, jack socket, string retainer and some of the screws. I must have spent enough on it to just have bought a stock Fender Mexico tele. And yet, if anyone asks, it's the one my friend gave to me...

10. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Good point and easily addressed. I'll use the original control plate and put the new one on the black body!

Jim

11. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA

Jim, I like how you think! :smug:

What pups did you order for it?

12. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Until I figure out what I really want, I ordered a set of Fender Original Jazz bass (the same pickups used on the '62 American Vintage and the Geddy Lee. I can always change them later.

It's not like I really know how to play these things or anything. :meh:

Jim

13. nice lookin bass. the black pick guard makes it.

14. dang, that has to be one of the best color combinations on a p out there, good job, you get a sticker

15. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Isn't it amazing what a simple pickguard change can do?

Jim

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Easiest way to change the color is change the body ;)

Nothing wrong with that IMO, Fenders were made to have interchangable parts. Take advantage of it and make the bass of your dreams.

BTW, I've been using the MW/black guard color scheme religiously for a long time. I love it!